Could you someone advice me... about ramdisk booting on X86? - Linux

This is a discussion on Could you someone advice me... about ramdisk booting on X86? - Linux ; Hi, In x86 system, kenel and root file system can run on only ramdisk(/dev/ram0 ) just like embedded board? my root file system and kernel is only 20 Mbyte ... so I want to run it only ramdisk.. Could you ...

  1. Could you someone advice me... about ramdisk booting on X86?

    Hi,

    In x86 system, kenel and root file system can run on only
    ramdisk(/dev/ram0 ) just like embedded board?
    my root file system and kernel is only 20 Mbyte ... so I want to run it
    only ramdisk..

    Could you someone advice me... about ramdisk booting on X86?

    Have a nice day.

  2. Re: Could you someone advice me... about ramdisk booting on X86?

    On Mon, 6 Nov 2006 17:42:54 +0900 somez72 wrote:

    | In x86 system, kenel and root file system can run on only
    | ramdisk(/dev/ram0 ) just like embedded board?
    | my root file system and kernel is only 20 Mbyte ... so I want to run it
    | only ramdisk..
    |

    | Could you someone advice me... about ramdisk booting on X86?

    It can be done. Initial ram disk is the usual means. The boot loader
    provides both the kernel image and a disk image. The kernel allocates
    the ramdisk space with an initial value of that disk image and mounts
    it as root before starting the first program.

    There is also another method that might be of interest. It is called
    "early user space". It involves files in RAM, too, but not in the form
    of a disk emulated filesystem. It basically integrates a cpio image of
    some files into the kernel image (you have to rebuild it) and loads them
    into rootfs (basically the same as ramfs) before starting the first
    program.

    | first name lower case at ipal.net / spamtrap-2006-11-06-1454@ipal.net |