Looking for a profiler - Linux

This is a discussion on Looking for a profiler - Linux ; Whats the best performance profiler for Linux? We have tried the following three products, but none is satisfactory. 1. Gprof ++++++++++++ - doesnt support shared libraries; need a separate build statically linked ++++++++++++ - even worse than instrumentation – i.e., ...

  1. Looking for a profiler

    Whats the best performance profiler for Linux? We have tried the following three products, but none is satisfactory.

    1. Gprof
    ++++++++++++ - doesnt support shared libraries; need a separate build statically linked
    ++++++++++++ - even worse than instrumentation – i.e., need a separate compilation with profile option.
    ++++++++++++ - no flexible GUI analyzer tool is available.
    2. Visual Quantify
    ++++++++++++ - requires code instrumentation, but thats not a bummer
    ++++++++++++ - profiling (execution) time is intolerable. Order of magnitude slower than normal execution
    3. Sun Studio 11
    ++++++++++++ - best experience – no instrumentation, sampling-based
    ++++++++++++ - only User CPU profiling is available, which is pretty much useless when we want to optimize network/disk usage.

    Does anyone have any immediate experience and recommendation?
    Thanks
    --
    Peter

    -------------- ͳ ī KORNET -------------

  2. Re: Looking for a profiler

    Peter Kim writes:

    > What's the best performance profiler for Linux? We have tried the
    > following three products, but none is satisfactory.
    >
    > 1. Gprof
    > 2. Visual Quantify
    > 3. Sun Studio 11
    >
    > Does anyone have any immediate experience and recommendation?

    You should try Oprofile as well.

    --
    Mns Rullgrd
    mru@inprovide.com

  3. Re: Looking for a profiler

    > Whats the best performance profiler for Linux?
    > ... we want to optimize network/disk usage.

    If the goal is best performance for a particular process on i686, then
    see http://bitwagon.com/tsprof/tsprof.html : CPU or wallclock time
    (hence I/O latency), shared and dynamic libraries, no recompilation.
    For analyzing performance across the whole system, then see oprofile.

    --

  4. Re: Looking for a profiler

    Peter Kim writes:

    > Does anyone have any immediate experience and recommendation?
    > Thanks

    Try sysprof:

    http://www.daimi.au.dk/~sandmann/sysprof/

    - Sampling based