Writing a Linux installer? - Linux

This is a discussion on Writing a Linux installer? - Linux ; I'm looking for some info on how to write a Linux installer for Linux my own custom Linux distro. From what I understand a Linux installer is simply a bootable CD?DVD which starts a 'custom' slimmed down version of Linux ...

  1. Writing a Linux installer?

    I'm looking for some info on how to write a Linux installer for Linux my own
    custom Linux distro.

    From what I understand a Linux installer is simply a bootable CD?DVD which
    starts a 'custom' slimmed down version of Linux which in turn starts a
    program which will detect the hardware, formats and hard drive and then
    copies the binaries to the hard drive.

    Could someone point out some info on how to go about this?

  2. Re: Writing a Linux installer?

    On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 10:56:09 +0200 Guy Fawkes wrote:

    | I'm looking for some info on how to write a Linux installer for Linux my own
    | custom Linux distro.
    |
    | From what I understand a Linux installer is simply a bootable CD?DVD which
    | starts a 'custom' slimmed down version of Linux which in turn starts a
    | program which will detect the hardware, formats and hard drive and then
    | copies the binaries to the hard drive.

    With a DVD, it would not have to be all that slimmed down, depending on
    how many packages you want to stuff in there.

    | Could someone point out some info on how to go about this?

    There are (at least) a couple different approaches. The classical one is
    to install (most) everything while still running the system originally from
    the CD/DVD. Another approach is to install a basic system to the target
    disk which has enough to come up and find the package source and install
    all the rest that way (whether that package source is the DVD, files put
    on some partition that isn't targeted, or a LAN, or the internet). If
    you identify a very basic essential set of stuff that is needed, don't
    bother making it into individual packages. Make the essentials be one
    big package, or even a non-package tarball.

    | first name lower case at ipal.net / spamtrap-2006-10-21-1842@ipal.net |