specify core file name - Linux

This is a discussion on specify core file name - Linux ; How to tell a program what its core file should be called if & when it generates one? I googled up using the environmental "corefile" but it didnt change anything. I tried gdb command line, but they appear more limited ...

  1. specify core file name

    How to tell a program what its core file should be called if & when it
    generates one? I googled up using the environmental "corefile" but it
    didnt change anything. I tried gdb command line, but they appear more
    limited to specifying an input core file - although I could be mistaken.

    Any pointers much appreciated.

    (Using Ubuntu)

  2. Re: specify core file name

    Hadron Quark wrote:

    > How to tell a program what its core file should be called if & when it
    > generates one? I googled up using the environmental "corefile" but it
    > didnt change anything. I tried gdb command line, but they appear more
    > limited to specifying an input core file - although I could be mistaken.
    >
    > Any pointers much appreciated.

    I don't believe you can. Core file generation is a system function and
    it can only be adjusted by the system administrator for all programs.
    The system tunables are '/proc/sys/kernel/core_pattern' and
    '/proc/sys/kernel/core_uses_pid' on modern builds of Linux.

    DS

+ Reply to Thread