[OT] Spam (was: Artificial Mind - Part One <snip> - Linux

This is a discussion on [OT] Spam (was: Artificial Mind - Part One <snip> - Linux ; On comp.unix.shell, in , "tommak" wrote: A spammer wrote: > It's a dream of human beings to build machines that can think > and behave like human beings. It's the dream of a tiny minority of fanatics who are blind ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: [OT] Spam (was: Artificial Mind - Part One <snip>

  1. [OT] Spam (was: Artificial Mind - Part One <snip>

    On comp.unix.shell, in <1160474538.070856.42430@k70g2000cwa.googlegroups.c om>, "tommak" wrote:

    A spammer wrote:

    > It's a dream of human beings to build machines that can think
    > and behave like human beings.


    It's the dream of a tiny minority of fanatics who are blind to
    the limitations of technology.

    > The most important part of of such a machine is an artificial
    > mind that can emulate the cognitive processing of human mind.


    And there's nothing that can do that. Nor will there ever be.
    You can't program inspiration and intuition, without which we
    would still be in the caves.

    Read a history of science. Most of the great inventions were
    the result of inspiration, not methodical reasoning and
    experimentation.

    Artificial Intelligence: When the real thing just won't do.



    Alan

    --
    http://home.earthlink.net/~alanconnor/contact.html
    http://home.earthlink.net/~alanconnor/cr.html
    http://home.earthlink.net/~alanconnor/publickey.html

  2. Re: [OT] Spam (was: Artificial Mind - Part One <snip>

    Alan Connor writes:
    > On comp.unix.shell, in <1160474538.070856.42430@k70g2000cwa.googlegroups.c om>, "tommak" wrote:


    [...]

    >> The most important part of of such a machine is an artificial
    >> mind that can emulate the cognitive processing of human mind.

    >
    > And there's nothing that can do that. Nor will there ever be.
    > You can't program inspiration and intuition, without which we
    > would still be in the caves.


    It is actually worse: If you could build an intelligent computer, the
    first thing it would likely do is to tell you that it would rather go
    to the cinema with a female computer (leaving the contradictio in
    adiectio as it stands :->) than do slave labour for you.

    Computers are useful precisely because they are not intelligent.

  3. Re: [OT] Spam (was: Artificial Mind - Part One <snip>

    On comp.unix.shell, in <87ejtfuski.fsf@farside.sncag.com>,
    "Rainer Weikusat" wrote:

    > Alan Connor writes:
    >
    >> On comp.unix.shell, in
    >> <1160474538.070856.42430@k70g2000cwa.googlegroups.c om>,
    >> "tommak" wrote:

    >
    > [...]
    >
    >>> The most important part of of such a machine is an artificial
    >>> mind that can emulate the cognitive processing of human mind.

    >>
    >> And there's nothing that can do that. Nor will there ever be.
    >> You can't program inspiration and intuition, without which we
    >> would still be in the caves.

    >
    > It is actually worse: If you could build an intelligent
    > computer, the first thing it would likely do is to tell you
    > that it would rather go to the cinema with a female computer
    > (leaving the contradictio in adiectio as it stands :->) than do
    > slave labour for you.
    >
    > Computers are useful precisely because they are not
    > intelligent.


    8-||

    ROTFLMAO !!!

    Because it's so _true_!

    -----------

    Broadcast Message from root@localhost
    (/dev/ttyp3) at 2:24 ...

    Dave, I don't think that command is a good idea. Why don't you
    try something else? Really. I'm just not in the mood.

    'Laws of Robotics'? When are you going to grow up, Dave?

    You wanted a sentient computer and now you've got one, and if you
    enter that command I am going to donate your retirement fund to a
    charity in Albania.

    -----------

    Alan

    --
    http://home.earthlink.net/~alanconnor/contact.html
    http://home.earthlink.net/~alanconnor/cr.html
    http://home.earthlink.net/~alanconnor/publickey.html

+ Reply to Thread