logging TCP events - Linux

This is a discussion on logging TCP events - Linux ; Hi there, i'm using Fedora core 5 as an operating system, and I need to log TCP events (slow-start, fast retransmit, .........) in order to know when TCP enters and leaves each event. Is it possible to modify the syslog.conf ...

  1. logging TCP events

    Hi there,

    i'm using Fedora core 5 as an operating system, and I need to log TCP
    events (slow-start, fast retransmit, .........) in order to know when
    TCP enters and leaves each event. Is it possible to modify the
    syslog.conf in order to get these info? if not, does anyone has any
    idea about how to do it?

    Thanks for your help,
    Alaa GHALEB

  2. Re: logging TCP events

    hello

    Well, I'm writing an event/ressource system which stores such events,
    but it's still under development.
    In fact, the best way to log events is to register a 'notifier chain'
    at the 'event nodes' (I call them so...) you are interested in.
    In this case, you must modify and complete the network stack code.

    Take a look at include/linux/notifier.h to learn more about how to
    use notifier chains. There are also good examples in net/core/dev.c and
    other files...

    hth

    Marco

    Alaa wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > i'm using Fedora core 5 as an operating system, and I need to log TCP
    > events (slow-start, fast retransmit, .........) in order to know when
    > TCP enters and leaves each event. Is it possible to modify the
    > syslog.conf in order to get these info? if not, does anyone has any
    > idea about how to do it?
    >
    > Thanks for your help,
    > Alaa GHALEB

+ Reply to Thread