space time requirements - Linux

This is a discussion on space time requirements - Linux ; hi, I want to do some space time estimation for a set of programs. Specifically, I am intrested to analyse few programs (application programming or some game or some tool) in terms of its memory usuage, execution time, stack requirements ...

  1. space time requirements

    hi,

    I want to do some space time estimation for a set of programs.
    Specifically, I am intrested to analyse few programs (application
    programming or some game or some tool) in terms of its memory usuage,
    execution time, stack requirements etc. I am using Linux system (2.6
    kernel). More specifically, I need to know

    1. how is the memory distributed for a given program Ib/w different
    segments)?

    2. What is the stack trace?

    3. What is the execution time?

    Based upon these findings, I will try to optimize the code and see if i
    could reduce memory and time requirements and also explore the
    possibilty if it could be done in hardware.

    Is anyone doing this kind of work? I know certain tools like top,
    memprof etc but it gives limited results.

    Any pointers will be highly appreciated.

    Regards,

    shiva

  2. Re: space time requirements

    shiva wrote:

    > hi,
    >
    > I want to do some space time estimation for a set of programs.
    > Specifically, I am intrested to analyse few programs (application
    > programming or some game or some tool) in terms of its memory usuage,
    > execution time, stack requirements etc. I am using Linux system (2.6
    > kernel). More specifically, I need to know
    >
    > 1. how is the memory distributed for a given program Ib/w different
    > segments)?
    >
    > 2. What is the stack trace?
    >
    > 3. What is the execution time?
    >
    > Based upon these findings, I will try to optimize the code and see if i
    > could reduce memory and time requirements and also explore the
    > possibilty if it could be done in hardware.
    >
    > Is anyone doing this kind of work? I know certain tools like top,
    > memprof etc but it gives limited results.
    >

    > Any pointers will be highly appreciated.

    man 5 proc

    /proc//stat
    /proc//statm

    will give you a lot of information about the process with PID ""

    Toni

    N.B.: a jiffie is 10 msec

  3. Re: space time requirements

    Toni Erdmann wrote:
    > N.B.: a jiffie is 10 msec

    Not necessarily. The default time resultion for jiffies was 10 ms on
    x86 architectures in 2.4 kernels (but, IIRC, it was 1 ms for Alpha
    or PowerPC) - and you could get a different value by changing the
    definition of HZ in one of the kernel headers (but which wasn't
    recommended). In 2.6 kernels you can set it to 10 ms, 4 ms or 1 ms
    via a kernel configuration option (CONFIG_HZ_100, CONFIG_HZ_250 or
    CONFIG_HZ_1000) and you also still can play around directly with the
    definition of HZ. Unfortunately, I can't say if there's a way to
    figure out what it's set to for the running kernel, a quick look at
    the stuff in the /proc file system didn't come up with something
    that looks like the setting of HZ.
    Regards, Jens