advantages of gdb ??? - Linux

This is a discussion on advantages of gdb ??? - Linux ; Hi everyone. I don't want to flame, I'm just interesting in such a question: has gdb any advantages in comparison with MS Visual Studio (2003, 2005)? I read somewhere that gdb can do things that Visual Studion can't, but what ...

  1. advantages of gdb ???

    Hi everyone.

    I don't want to flame, I'm just interesting in such a question: has gdb
    any advantages in comparison with MS Visual Studio (2003, 2005)? I read
    somewhere that gdb can do things that Visual Studion can't, but what
    are this things?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: advantages of gdb ???

    On 3 Oct 2006 14:20:14 -0700, Dmitry Chumack wrote:

    > I don't want to flame, I'm just interesting in such a question: has gdb
    > any advantages in comparison with MS Visual Studio (2003, 2005)?

    It works on a whole bunch of platforms that VS doesn't support.

    --
    -| Bob Hauck
    -| Have you had enough of George Bush yet?

  3. Re: advantages of gdb ???

    Dmitry Chumack wrote:

    > Hi everyone.
    >
    > I don't want to flame, I'm just interesting in such a question: has gdb
    > any advantages in comparison with MS Visual Studio (2003, 2005)? I read
    > somewhere that gdb can do things that Visual Studion can't, but what
    > are this things?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    It can debug operating system kernel when modifier properly ( see KGDB)
    it can debug executable on remote machine.

  4. Re: advantages of gdb ???

    Dmitry Chumack wrote:
    > Hi everyone.
    >
    > I don't want to flame, I'm just interesting in such a question: has gdb
    > any advantages in comparison with MS Visual Studio (2003, 2005)? I read
    > somewhere that gdb can do things that Visual Studion can't, but what
    > are this things?

    It runs on Linux.

    --
    Josef Möllers (Pinguinpfleger bei FSC)
    -- T. Pratchett

  5. Re: advantages of gdb ???

    Dmitry Chumack wrote:

    > Hi everyone.
    >
    > I don't want to flame, I'm just interesting in such a question: has gdb
    > any advantages in comparison with MS Visual Studio (2003, 2005)? I read
    > somewhere that gdb can do things that Visual Studion can't, but what
    > are this things?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    It debug java/fortran programs... which I think are unknow to MS visual
    studio...

  6. Re: advantages of gdb ???

    Dmitry Chumack wrote:

    > I don't want to flame, I'm just interesting in such a question: has gdb
    > any advantages in comparison with MS Visual Studio (2003, 2005)? I read
    > somewhere that gdb can do things that Visual Studion can't, but what
    > are this things?

    It can be used remotely over a slow connection. It can debug a program
    that crashed two months and a reboot ago. It can easily be scripted to
    gather information (even about a running process) without human
    intervention. If you discover a bug in it, you can fix it.

    DS

+ Reply to Thread