linux swapping - Linux

This is a discussion on linux swapping - Linux ; How does the kernel use the swap on linux? Does it swap all processes to the swap or only pages of processes ? I guess I'm asking if Linus's kernel is a swapping or paging kernel? Bill...

  1. linux swapping

    How does the kernel use the swap on linux? Does it swap all processes to
    the swap or only pages of processes ? I guess I'm asking if Linus's kernel
    is a swapping or paging kernel?

    Bill

  2. Re: linux swapping

    Bill Cunningham wrote:

    > How does the kernel use the swap on linux?

    Basically, it copies pages of physical memory that have not been
    recently accessed to the swap devce.

    DS

  3. Re: linux swapping

    Bill Cunningham wrote:
    > How does the kernel use the swap on linux? Does it swap all processes to
    > the swap or only pages of processes ? I guess I'm asking if Linus's kernel
    > is a swapping or paging kernel?

    Paging.

    --
    Josef Möllers (Pinguinpfleger bei FSC)