Core Dump If i do not set "LANG = C & LC_MESSAGES=C" as env var - Linux

This is a discussion on Core Dump If i do not set "LANG = C & LC_MESSAGES=C" as env var - Linux ; Hi Group, I am newb to Linux world. I have snippet of source code written in c lang, the application use icu lib for internationalization. Now when i set LANG=fr_FR & other locale env var and run the executable it ...

  1. Core Dump If i do not set "LANG = C & LC_MESSAGES=C" as env var

    Hi Group,

    I am newb to Linux world. I have snippet of source code written in c
    lang, the application use icu lib for internationalization. Now when i
    set LANG=fr_FR & other locale env var and run the executable it give me
    core dump, segmentation fault. The snippet code deals with writing some
    temporary files which need to be read later for reading purpose with
    same application.

    However, when i set LANG=C in the snippet code the executable woks
    properly. But i found that it requires LC_MESSAGES env var also need to
    set along with LANG. So I got confused here, Can anyone tell me that
    what is the relationship between these two env. variables & why the
    executable gives me core dump when i set locale env. var = fr_FR ?

    Thanks in advance.

    Neel

  2. Re: Core Dump If i do not set "LANG = C & LC_MESSAGES=C" as env var

    nilesh_ibmr@yahoo.com writes:

    > what is the relationship between these two env. variables & why the
    > executable gives me core dump when i set locale env. var = fr_FR ?

    The relationship is that you have a bug in the app, or in the
    library it uses (or in both), and that bug causes the app to
    crash when LANG=fr_FR.

    Run the app under gdb to see *where* it crashes, and debug from there.

    Cheers,
    Remove /-nsp/ for email.

  3. Re: Core Dump If i do not set "LANG = C & LC_MESSAGES=C" as env var

    Hi Paul,

    I debuged, and found that its giving core on RHEL 3.0 When LC_MESSAGES
    is not set to C,
    So bit confushed that whats the diff bet. LANG & LC_MESSAGES ?

    Paul Pluzhnikov wrote:
    > nilesh_ibmr@yahoo.com writes:
    >
    > > what is the relationship between these two env. variables & why the
    > > executable gives me core dump when i set locale env. var = fr_FR ?

    > The relationship is that you have a bug in the app, or in the
    > library it uses (or in both), and that bug causes the app to
    > crash when LANG=fr_FR.
    >
    > Run the app under gdb to see *where* it crashes, and debug from there.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > --
    > In order to understand recursion you must first understand recursion.
    > Remove /-nsp/ for email.

+ Reply to Thread