what to do on linux? - Linux

This is a discussion on what to do on linux? - Linux ; Hello, This is probably not the best place to post this, but I couldn't think of anywhere better. If you have the time to help me with a OS class project please read on. On my OS class (I'm a ...

  1. what to do on linux?

    Hello,

    This is probably not the best place to post this, but I couldn't think
    of anywhere better. If you have the time to help me with a OS class
    project please read on.

    On my OS class (I'm a computer science major) we were divided in groups
    of 3 people and each groups should come up with something to change on
    the linux kernel and make those changes, or at least part of it if the
    project is too big for one semester, by the end of the semester. I did
    some research and I couldn't find something interesting to do. So I'm
    here asking if anyone would have a good suggestion for me.

    My intentions with the project is to get a better knowledge of how linux
    works and to have something interesting working by the end of the class.
    The project should be big enough to keep us busy the whole semester.

    What I've come up with so far was trying to do some kind of protection
    inheritance system, where I could make syscalls like disablenetwork,
    disablesignals, disabledevaccess, and so on. Those would be inherited by
    the children processes and they could not enable them back on, only
    disable more things. But I'm not sure if it that interesting, also I'm
    afraid that's going to be too easy to get done, and not something that's
    supposed to take a whole period.

    Thank you all for reading,
    Rafael

  2. Re: what to do on linux?

    Rafael Almeida wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > This is probably not the best place to post this, but I couldn't think
    > of anywhere better. If you have the time to help me with a OS class
    > project please read on.
    >
    > On my OS class (I'm a computer science major) we were divided in groups
    > of 3 people and each groups should come up with something to change on
    > the linux kernel and make those changes, or at least part of it if the
    > project is too big for one semester, by the end of the semester. I did
    > some research and I couldn't find something interesting to do. So I'm
    > here asking if anyone would have a good suggestion for me.
    >
    > My intentions with the project is to get a better knowledge of how linux
    > works and to have something interesting working by the end of the class.
    > The project should be big enough to keep us busy the whole semester.
    >
    > What I've come up with so far was trying to do some kind of protection
    > inheritance system, where I could make syscalls like disablenetwork,
    > disablesignals, disabledevaccess, and so on. Those would be inherited by
    > the children processes and they could not enable them back on, only
    > disable more things. But I'm not sure if it that interesting, also I'm
    > afraid that's going to be too easy to get done, and not something that's
    > supposed to take a whole period.
    >
    > Thank you all for reading,
    > Rafael

    Here's one... signed modules. Create a mechanism to register a key
    somehow and disallow unsigned modules from loading into the kernel.
    Just an idea.

  3. Re: what to do on linux?

    Rafael Almeida wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > This is probably not the best place to post this, but I couldn't think
    > of anywhere better. If you have the time to help me with a OS class
    > project please read on.
    >
    > On my OS class (I'm a computer science major) we were divided in groups
    > of 3 people and each groups should come up with something to change on
    > the linux kernel and make those changes, or at least part of it if the
    > project is too big for one semester, by the end of the semester. I did
    > some research and I couldn't find something interesting to do. So I'm
    > here asking if anyone would have a good suggestion for me.
    >
    > My intentions with the project is to get a better knowledge of how linux
    > works and to have something interesting working by the end of the class.
    > The project should be big enough to keep us busy the whole semester.
    >
    > What I've come up with so far was trying to do some kind of protection
    > inheritance system, where I could make syscalls like disablenetwork,
    > disablesignals, disabledevaccess, and so on. Those would be inherited by
    > the children processes and they could not enable them back on, only
    > disable more things. But I'm not sure if it that interesting, also I'm
    > afraid that's going to be too easy to get done, and not something that's
    > supposed to take a whole period.
    >
    > Thank you all for reading,
    > Rafael

    On the signed module idea... any signed executable support would
    be nice as well (can be extended to other things as well).

  4. Re: what to do on linux?

    May be you will find this interesting.
    http://svn.drbd.org/drbd/trunk/ROADMAP
    http://drbd.org/
    Rafael Almeida wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > This is probably not the best place to post this, but I couldn't think
    > of anywhere better. If you have the time to help me with a OS class
    > project please read on.
    >
    > On my OS class (I'm a computer science major) we were divided in groups
    > of 3 people and each groups should come up with something to change on
    > the linux kernel and make those changes, or at least part of it if the
    > project is too big for one semester, by the end of the semester. I did
    > some research and I couldn't find something interesting to do. So I'm
    > here asking if anyone would have a good suggestion for me.
    >
    > My intentions with the project is to get a better knowledge of how linux
    > works and to have something interesting working by the end of the class.
    > The project should be big enough to keep us busy the whole semester.
    >
    > What I've come up with so far was trying to do some kind of protection
    > inheritance system, where I could make syscalls like disablenetwork,
    > disablesignals, disabledevaccess, and so on. Those would be inherited by
    > the children processes and they could not enable them back on, only
    > disable more things. But I'm not sure if it that interesting, also I'm
    > afraid that's going to be too easy to get done, and not something that's
    > supposed to take a whole period.
    >
    > Thank you all for reading,
    > Rafael

  5. Re: what to do on linux?

    http://janitor.kernelnewbies.org/

    --
    Jiri Kosina

  6. Re: what to do on linux?

    Chris Cox writes:

    > Rafael Almeida wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> This is probably not the best place to post this, but I couldn't think
    >> of anywhere better. If you have the time to help me with a OS class
    >> project please read on.
    >>
    >> On my OS class (I'm a computer science major) we were divided in groups
    >> of 3 people and each groups should come up with something to change on
    >> the linux kernel and make those changes, or at least part of it if the
    >> project is too big for one semester, by the end of the semester. I did
    >> some research and I couldn't find something interesting to do. So I'm
    >> here asking if anyone would have a good suggestion for me.

    > On the signed module idea... any signed executable support would
    > be nice as well (can be extended to other things as well).

    Hasn't that already been done?

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mru@inprovide.com

  7. Re: what to do on linux?

    Rafael Almeida wrote:
    > groups should come up with something to change on
    > the linux kernel and make those changes, or at least part of it if the
    > project is too big for one semester, by the end of the semester. I did
    > some research and I couldn't find something interesting to do. So I'm
    > here asking if anyone would have a good suggestion for me.

    The /proc filesystem lets you read and write
    data in the kernel as if the data were in
    files in a filesystem. FUSE does the same
    thing for userspace programs.

    The Run Time Access library lets you read
    and write data in a data structure as if the
    data was in a PostgreSQL DB. You can use
    RTA to talk to a running userspace programs
    this way.

    Your project, should you decide to accept,
    is to use RTA and a netlink socket to make
    the tables and data structures in the kernel
    look like tables in a DB.

    Might at least be interesting.

+ Reply to Thread