error for booting new compiled kernel - Linux

This is a discussion on error for booting new compiled kernel - Linux ; hi all, can any body help me, i did compilation of kernel 2.4.20 many times but it do not boot successfully in my Red Hat linux, here is the fillowing last 4 lines that i got when kernle boot: ds: ...

  1. error for booting new compiled kernel

    hi all,

    can any body help me,
    i did compilation of kernel 2.4.20 many times but it do not boot
    successfully in my Red Hat linux, here is the fillowing last 4 lines
    that i got when kernle boot:

    ds: no socket driver loaded!
    VFS: Cannot open root device " LABLE=/dev/hda6" or 00:00

    i have edit grub.conf file as follow:
    title Red Hat Linux ( 2.4.20-8)
    root ( hd0, 5)
    kernel /boot/vmlinux-2.4.20-8 ro root=LABEL=/
    initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.20-8.img
    ########## FOLLOWING IS THE PORTION THAT I HAVE APPENDED#########
    title Red Hat Linux ( 2.4.20-8)
    root ( hd0, 5)
    kernel /boot/bzImage-2.4.20-new ro root=LABEL=/
    initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.20-new.img

    i went through many documentition given on net and all are almost same.
    i follow the instruction they have given
    but i coulnt solve this problem

    please kindly help me

    dharmendra

  2. Re: error for booting new compiled kernel

    dharmendra wrote:

    > hi all,
    >
    > can any body help me,
    > i did compilation of kernel 2.4.20 many times but it do not boot
    > successfully in my Red Hat linux, here is the fillowing last 4 lines
    > that i got when kernle boot:
    >

    > ds: no socket driver loaded!
    > VFS: Cannot open root device " LABLE=/dev/hda6" or 00:00
    >
    > i have edit grub.conf file as follow:
    > title Red Hat Linux ( 2.4.20-8)
    > root ( hd0, 5)
    > kernel /boot/vmlinux-2.4.20-8 ro root=LABEL=/
    > initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.20-8.img
    > ########## FOLLOWING IS THE PORTION THAT I HAVE APPENDED#########
    > title Red Hat Linux ( 2.4.20-8)
    > root ( hd0, 5)
    > kernel /boot/bzImage-2.4.20-new ro root=LABEL=/

    Try giving "root=/dev/hda6" instead of giving "root=LABEL=/". Which
    filesystem "/" has ? Have you made it inbuilt?

    > initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.20-new.img
    >
    > i went through many documentition given on net and all are almost same.
    > i follow the instruction they have given
    > but i coulnt solve this problem
    >
    > please kindly help me
    >
    > dharmendra

+ Reply to Thread