Threads Vs Forks in Embedded Environment - Linux

This is a discussion on Threads Vs Forks in Embedded Environment - Linux ; Hi group, i am doing a project at motorola. i have to clone the client side mobile phone software update engine.what is better suited for an embedded environment......threads or forks: Threads: Threads require support libraries, so extra space is required ...

  1. Threads Vs Forks in Embedded Environment

    Hi group,

    i am doing a project at motorola. i have to clone the client side
    mobile phone software update engine.what is better suited for an
    embedded environment......threads or forks:

    Threads:

    Threads require support libraries, so extra space is required in flash
    memory.

    Updation of libraries may also be required so this may increase the
    installation time.

    Though threads share resources, in our case the sharing is not
    substantial.

    Forks:

    Forks may have increased RAM requirement but it depends upon number of
    forks . Each fork has its own copy of all the segments of the update
    engine.

    Can anyone provide me with a comparison of advantages and disadvantages
    of threads and forks for embedded environment.

  2. Re: Threads Vs Forks in Embedded Environment

    OS is embedded Linux. The platform is based on a dual core
    architecture having an ARM11 core (Application Processor, AP) that
    handles all the application level functionalities and a Star Core DSP
    processor ( Base band Processor, BP), which handles all the modem
    functions. OTASU supports Jffs2, cramfs file system. other products
    supports MCU (MCORE) also

  3. Re: Threads Vs Forks in Embedded Environment

    Abhishek wrote:
    > Hi group,
    >
    > i am doing a project at motorola. i have to clone the client side
    > mobile phone software update engine.what is better suited for an
    > embedded environment......threads or forks:
    >
    > Threads:
    >
    > Threads require support libraries, so extra space is required in flash
    > memory.

    If you have to ship just one program that requires the threading
    library, then you have to ship the threading library. So throwing out
    the threading library is only possible if you can identify all
    multithreaded programs in the base Linux distribution and exclude them.

    Once you have the library in the flash image to support just one such
    program, it costs "nothing" for additional programs, such as your own,
    to also link to it.

+ Reply to Thread