File size limit with dd - Linux

This is a discussion on File size limit with dd - Linux ; Hi, I try to make an image of a local disk on an external usb disk. I boot from a cd so there is no mounted partition on /dev/hda. I type: # dd if=/dev/hda of=/mnt/usbdrive/hda.img Take a while and exit ...

  1. File size limit with dd

    Hi,

    I try to make an image of a local disk on an external usb disk.
    I boot from a cd so there is no mounted partition on /dev/hda.

    I type:
    # dd if=/dev/hda of=/mnt/usbdrive/hda.img
    Take a while and exit with message:
    File size limit exceeded

    # ls -l /mnt/usbdrive
    [...]
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 4294967295 Sep 4 21:51 hda.img

    /dev/hda size is 100Go.

    There are files bigger than 4.0Go on my system, so it's not a Linux
    limitation.

    Maybe dd has a size limitation ! Any idea ?
    How can I solve my problem ?

    Thanks,

    Xavier

  2. Re: File size limit with dd

    xdufresne writes:

    > I try to make an image of a local disk on an external usb disk.

    What is the filesystem on the external disk?

    > # dd if=/dev/hda of=/mnt/usbdrive/hda.img
    > File size limit exceeded
    >
    > # ls -l /mnt/usbdrive
    > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 4294967295 Sep 4 21:51 hda.img

    Sounds like /mnt/usbdrive is mounted as "msdos".

    According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Allocation_Table
    FAT32 has a limit of 4GB on individual file size

    Cheers,
    Remove /-nsp/ for email.

  3. Re: File size limit with dd

    Thanks Paul.

    Paul Pluzhnikov wrote:
    > xdufresne writes:
    >

    >>I try to make an image of a local disk on an external usb disk.

    > What is the filesystem on the external disk?
    >

    >># dd if=/dev/hda of=/mnt/usbdrive/hda.img
    >>File size limit exceeded
    >>
    >># ls -l /mnt/usbdrive
    >>-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 4294967295 Sep 4 21:51 hda.img

    > Sounds like /mnt/usbdrive is mounted as "msdos".
    >
    > According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Allocation_Table
    > FAT32 has a limit of 4GB on individual file size
    >
    > Cheers,

+ Reply to Thread