Copy a hd to an other with dd - Linux

This is a discussion on Copy a hd to an other with dd - Linux ; Hi, I have a laptop with 7 partitions on my hardrive and multi os. I generate an image of the whole hd with "dd if=/dev/hda of=mydrive.img". Do you think it will work if I copy this image on an other ...

  1. Copy a hd to an other with dd

    Hi,

    I have a laptop with 7 partitions on my hardrive and multi os.

    I generate an image of the whole hd with "dd if=/dev/hda of=mydrive.img".
    Do you think it will work if I copy this image on an other laptop with
    exactly the same hardware configuration ?

    Do you think it will work if the target hard drive is different from the
    source hard drive ?

    Thanks for your help

    Xavier

  2. Re: Copy a hd to an other with dd

    xdufresne writes:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a laptop with 7 partitions on my hardrive and multi os.
    >
    > I generate an image of the whole hd with "dd if=/dev/hda of=mydrive.img".
    > Do you think it will work if I copy this image on an other laptop with
    > exactly the same hardware configuration ?
    >
    > Do you think it will work if the target hard drive is different from the
    > source hard drive ?

    Linux will almost certainly work fine, Windows might not.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mru@inprovide.com

  3. Re: Copy a hd to an other with dd

    On 2006-09-02, Måns Rullgård wrote:
    > xdufresne writes:
    >> I generate an image of the whole hd with "dd if=/dev/hda of=mydrive.img".
    >> Do you think it will work if I copy this image on an other laptop with
    >> exactly the same hardware configuration ?

    Only HD really matters. Of course it will.

    >> Do you think it will work if the target hard drive is different from the
    >> source hard drive ?

    > Linux will almost certainly work fine, Windows might not.

    Here may be some problems with partition. Undefinied behaviour

    --
    Damian Szuberski

  4. Re: Copy a hd to an other with dd

    Damian 'LegioN' Szuberski wrote:
    > On 2006-09-02, Måns Rullgård wrote:
    >
    >>xdufresne writes:
    >>
    >>>I generate an image of the whole hd with "dd if=/dev/hda of=mydrive.img".
    >>>Do you think it will work if I copy this image on an other laptop with
    >>>exactly the same hardware configuration ?

    > Only HD really matters. Of course it will.
    >

    >>>Do you think it will work if the target hard drive is different from the
    >>> source hard drive ?

    >>Linux will almost certainly work fine, Windows might not.

    > Here may be some problems with partition. Undefinied behaviour

    Thanks for your answers.

    Best Regards

+ Reply to Thread