How to trace functions in a driver?? - Linux

This is a discussion on How to trace functions in a driver?? - Linux ; Hi , I want to trace my net adapter's driver and see functions in the driver call each other. I install the Linux trace toolkit and strace but they can only display the system calls of my driver. I want ...

  1. How to trace functions in a driver??

    Hi , I want to trace my net adapter's driver and see functions in the
    driver call each other. I install the Linux trace toolkit and strace
    but they can only display the system calls of my driver. I want to know
    if i can use gdb to trace dirver .If it is possible ,How can i do that?
    Is there any articles talking about driver tracing and debuging ?

  2. Re: How to trace functions in a driver??

    hide1713@gmail.com wrote:

    > Hi , I want to trace my net adapter's driver and see functions in the
    > driver call each other. I install the Linux trace toolkit and strace
    > but they can only display the system calls of my driver. I want to know
    > if i can use gdb to trace dirver .If it is possible ,How can i do that?
    > Is there any articles talking about driver tracing and debuging ?

    KGDB (kgdb.linsyssoft.com) or UML (user mode linux) ....
    It seems you don't check your old posts. :-)

  3. Re: How to trace functions in a driver??

    well , Thanks for your help,I do checked my old post. but i only have
    one computer. So using kgdb is not possible and i just need a tool
    telling me which functions be called at the moment to help me
    understand the mechanism of my network adapter.So VM maybe is not a
    good idea. (1 i'm not sure my adapter can work on it,2 i doubt if it
    can work in the same way as in real machine).I'm using printk to trace
    functions now and thanks for your information
    miline wrote:
    > hide1713@gmail.com wrote:

    > > Hi , I want to trace my net adapter's driver and see functions in the
    > > driver call each other. I install the Linux trace toolkit and strace
    > > but they can only display the system calls of my driver. I want to know
    > > if i can use gdb to trace dirver .If it is possible ,How can i do tha
    > > Is there any articles talking about driver tracing and debuging ?

    > KGDB (kgdb.linsyssoft.com) or UML (user mode linux) ....
    > It seems you don't check your old posts. :-)

+ Reply to Thread