startup question - Linux

This is a discussion on startup question - Linux ; I'm trying to do some boot cycle testing, is it correct to just create a S* script in /etc/rc3.d and put calls to my program in that? is: i created an S99zzReset script in rc3.d so it would be the ...

  1. startup question

    I'm trying to do some boot cycle testing, is it correct to just create a S*
    script in /etc/rc3.d and put calls to my program in that?
    is: i created an S99zzReset script in rc3.d so it would be the very last
    one to get executed in run level 3 (i am only going to level 3 not to 4 or
    5)
    Is there anything special i need to do there? before i call my Reset test
    program? do i treat it as "just another shell script"?
    Thanks
    Eric

  2. Re: startup question

    Eric wrote:
    > I'm trying to do some boot cycle testing, is it correct to just create a S*
    > script in /etc/rc3.d and put calls to my program in that?
    > is: i created an S99zzReset script in rc3.d so it would be the very last
    > one to get executed in run level 3 (i am only going to level 3 not to 4or
    > 5)
    > Is there anything special i need to do there? before i call my Reset test
    > program? do i treat it as "just another shell script"?

    That's how we usually do reboot-testing.

    You won't get a login prompt, so personally, I prefer having the atd
    daemon running and scheduling a reboot:

    at -f /root/restart now + 1minutes

    That way, I can easily stop the rebooting process by doing
    at -l
    at -d

    It delays reboots by 1 minute, though ...

    In the "S99zzzzzreboot"-case you'd have to change runlevels to stop the
    reboot-test.

    --
    Josef Möllers (Pinguinpfleger bei FSC)
    -- T. Pratchett