What's different between pending and blocking in signal concept? - Linux

This is a discussion on What's different between pending and blocking in signal concept? - Linux ; Dear colleagues. I am reading Stevens' book. In his book (apue), a signal concept is introduced well, however I can't understand the meaning (pending and blocking) in page 283. In the book, he wrote that during the time between the ...

  1. What's different between pending and blocking in signal concept?

    Dear colleagues.

    I am reading Stevens' book. In his book (apue), a signal concept is
    introduced well, however I can't understand the meaning (pending and
    blocking) in page 283. In the book, he wrote that during the time
    between the generation of a signal and its delivery, the signal is said
    to be pending. Well, I can understand above sentance. But, what's
    meanning blocking?

    Does anyone know different between pending and blocking? Please,
    explain the difference.

    Cheers.

  2. Re: What's different between pending and blocking in signal concept?

    hurryon wrote:
    > Dear colleagues.
    >
    > I am reading Stevens' book. In his book (apue), a signal concept is
    > introduced well, however I can't understand the meaning (pending and
    > blocking) in page 283. In the book, he wrote that during the time
    > between the generation of a signal and its delivery, the signal is said
    > to be pending. Well, I can understand above sentance. But, what's
    > meanning blocking?
    >
    > Does anyone know different between pending and blocking? Please,
    > explain the difference.
    >
    > Cheers.

    Blocking a signal just sets a bit.

    If this signal is later sent, it will not be delivered but it will be
    pending until it is no longer blocked.

    In other terms: having a signal blocked is a property of your
    process/thread, being pending is a property of an instance of a signal.

    --
    Josef Möllers (Pinguinpfleger bei FSC)
    -- T. Pratchett

+ Reply to Thread