Sharing 4MB of kernel Space in user space - Linux

This is a discussion on Sharing 4MB of kernel Space in user space - Linux ; Hi, I want to share 4MB of kernel space in user space. The 4MB of memory is allocated using vmalloc and will span across minimum of 1024 pages. Which is the best way to do so. Are there examples to ...

  1. Sharing 4MB of kernel Space in user space

    Hi,

    I want to share 4MB of kernel space in user space. The 4MB of memory
    is allocated using vmalloc and will span across minimum of 1024 pages.

    Which is the best way to do so. Are there examples to share multiple
    pages in kernel space to user space. Can any one share some example.

    The entire application will need around 1095 pages to be shared with
    user space i.e 1095 pages to be locked (non swappable). Will this
    cause any impact on the system.

    Regards
    MK

  2. Re: Sharing 4MB of kernel Space in user space

    On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 22:01:04 -0700, MK wrote:

    > I want to share 4MB of kernel space in user space. The 4MB of memory
    > is allocated using vmalloc and will span across minimum of 1024 pages.

    You obviously are trying to re-implement bt848, with all its drawbacks
    (e.g. nonportable pagetable walks).

    -- Pete

  3. Re: Sharing 4MB of kernel Space in user space

    Pete Zaitcev wrote:

    > On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 22:01:04 -0700, MK wrote:
    >
    > > I want to share 4MB of kernel space in user space. The 4MB of memory
    > > is allocated using vmalloc and will span across minimum of 1024 pages.

    > You obviously are trying to re-implement bt848, with all its drawbacks
    > (e.g. nonportable pagetable walks).
    >
    > -- Pete

    is bt848 existing piece of code, can you please provide more
    information or links to this. I am ignorant on this. I am working in
    linux 2.6 kernel, will bt848 be portable for the same

+ Reply to Thread