Linux Customization - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux Customization - Linux ; Hello to everyone We want to customize the red-linux in following manner. We want some more controls on the initial screen that appears in the red-linux(the one which prompts you to key in user name & password).Actually,We want two more ...

  1. Linux Customization

    Hello to everyone
    We want to customize the red-linux in following manner.
    We want some more controls on the initial screen that appears in the
    red-linux(the one which prompts you to key in
    user name & password).Actually,We want two more text boxes there (and
    one combo box also),which,along with user name & password
    ,will take Student's name & his class as input & then we will send
    those details to the central server which we can use for the
    monitoring.
    So,I would be very greateful,If anyone can tell me how this
    customization is possioble.
    I think that It is quite possible to do this,if I could get the source
    code of the progarm,that brings this dialog box.
    Hoping for your positive reply.
    We have red-linux 9.1.

    Prafulla V Tekawade
    MSc(Computer Science)-I,Nowrosjee Wadia College,Pune
    India

  2. Re: Linux Customization

    Bill Marcum wrote:
    > On 25 Jul 2006 06:36:13 -0700, Prafulla T
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Hello to everyone
    >>We want to customize the red-linux in following manner.
    >>We want some more controls on the initial screen that appears in the
    >>red-linux(the one which prompts you to key in
    >>user name & password).Actually,We want two more text boxes there (and
    >>one combo box also),which,along with user name & password
    >>,will take Student's name & his class as input & then we will send
    >>those details to the central server which we can use for the
    >>monitoring.

    > Would several students be sharing one username? I think it is better to
    > have one username and password per person.
    >

    >>So,I would be very greateful,If anyone can tell me how this
    >>customization is possioble.
    >>I think that It is quite possible to do this,if I could get the source
    >>code of the progarm,that brings this dialog box.

    > That program is probably kdm, gdm or xdm.

    If there is a 1:1 correspondence between username and student's name and
    his/her classes, then going after *dm would be a bit overdone. I'd write
    a PAM module to record the data.

    --
    Josef Möllers (Pinguinpfleger bei FSC)
    -- T. Pratchett