Linux Customization - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux Customization - Linux ; Hello to everyone We want to customize the red-linux in following manner. We want some more controls on the initial screen that appears in the red-linux(the one which prompts you to key in user name & password).Actually,We want two more ...

  1. Linux Customization

    Hello to everyone
    We want to customize the red-linux in following manner.
    We want some more controls on the initial screen that appears in the
    red-linux(the one which prompts you to key in
    user name & password).Actually,We want two more text boxes there (and
    one combo box also),which,along with user name & password
    ,will take Student's name & his class as input & then we will send
    those details to the central server which we can use for the
    monitoring.
    So,I would be very greateful,If anyone can tell me how this
    customization is possioble.
    I think that It is quite possible to do this,if I could get the source
    code of the progarm,that brings this dialog box.
    Hoping for your positive reply.
    We have red-linux 9.1.

    Prafulla V Tekawade
    MSc(Computer Science)-I,Nowrosjee Wadia College,Pune
    India

  2. Re: Linux Customization

    Prafulla T wrote:
    > Hello to everyone
    > We want to customize the red-linux in following manner.
    > We want some more controls on the initial screen that appears in the
    > red-linux(the one which prompts you to key in
    > user name & password).Actually,We want two more text boxes there (and
    > one combo box also),which,along with user name & password
    > ,will take Student's name & his class as input & then we will send
    > those details to the central server which we can use for the
    > monitoring.

    You probably don't need this customization. The name associated with
    a username is part of the passwd file information you can retrieve
    via the getpwnam() or getpwent() functions (specifically it's in the
    GECOS field). As for the class, that'll depend on how you structure
    your usernames. One common method is to assign a username per student
    per class, so it's possible to encode the class in the username. If
    a student uses a single login for all classes, you can't identify the
    class at login time because the student may do work for more than one
    class without logging out and back in again for each one. Without
    knowing why you want class information and what you want to do with
    it I can't tell you whether what you need's already available or not.

    --
    death.net: because for some problems there's only one solution.

+ Reply to Thread