Does my processor have local APIC? - Linux

This is a discussion on Does my processor have local APIC? - Linux ; Hello, group! I have Mobile Intel Pentium 4 Processor-M on my laptop and I need to make profiling for server daemon by using oprofile. However, I cant get another events other than timer interrupts. As far as I understand (please, ...

  1. Does my processor have local APIC?

    Hello, group!

    I have Mobile Intel Pentium 4 Processor-M on my laptop and I need to
    make profiling for server daemon by using oprofile. However, I cant get
    another events other than timer interrupts. As far as I understand
    (please, correct me if I wrong) I need local APIC for getting NMI on
    overflows of a performance counters. So, I need know does my processor
    have local APIC (yes, I have compiled my Linux kernel with X86_UP_APIC
    and X86_LOCAL_APIC options).

    My /proc/cpuinfo:

    processor : 0
    vendor_id : GenuineIntel
    cpu family : 15
    model : 2
    model name : Mobile Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 - M CPU 2.00GHz
    stepping : 9
    cpu MHz : 1200.000
    cache size : 512 KB
    fdiv_bug : no
    hlt_bug : no
    f00f_bug : no
    coma_bug : no
    fpu : yes
    fpu_exception : yes
    cpuid level : 2
    wp : yes
    flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca
    cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe up cid
    xtpr
    bogomips : 2395.07

    There isn't apic flag, but afaik this flags means onboard APIC, not a
    local one (am I right?). Well, I got looking for specification on
    intel.com and found
    http://www.intel.com/products/proces...ium4/index.htm. This
    table says that family of my processor has cpu frequesncy from 2.66 to
    3.20, but it isn't true. Also I found just a mention of local APIC
    interrupt in "Mobile IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 533 MHz System
    Bus Datasheet" and I want to know it more accurately.

    Thanks,
    Alexander

  2. Re: Does my processor have local APIC?

    > So, I need know does my processor
    > have local APIC (yes, I have compiled my Linux kernel with X86_UP_APIC
    > and X86_LOCAL_APIC options).

    Add " lapic " to the linux boot command line. Boot, then look in the
    output from "dmesg" and in /var/log/messages to see if a local APIC
    was initialized. [I have a SiS 730 board with an Athlon Plain
    that requires this recipe to enable the local APIC, which the BIOS
    ignores.]

    --

  3. Re: Does my processor have local APIC?

    Thanks, John!

    CPU events for profiling grew.

    > Add " lapic " to the linux boot command line. Boot, then look in the
    > output from "dmesg" and in /var/log/messages to see if a local APIC
    > was initialized. [I have a SiS 730 board with an Athlon Plain
    > that requires this recipe to enable the local APIC, which the BIOS
    > ignores.]

+ Reply to Thread