check what methods or macros deprecated like MODULE_PARM? - Linux

This is a discussion on check what methods or macros deprecated like MODULE_PARM? - Linux ; Hi, with a module that worked fine in 2.6.16, trying to compile it in 2.6.17 lead me to unfortunately find out that MODULE_PARM() was deprecated, pulled out, and replaced by module_param() and others. According to http://lwn.net/Articles/107303/ the MODULE_PARM() may have ...

  1. check what methods or macros deprecated like MODULE_PARM?

    Hi,

    with a module that worked fine in 2.6.16, trying to compile it in 2.6.17
    lead me to unfortunately find out that MODULE_PARM() was deprecated,
    pulled out, and replaced by module_param() and others.

    According to http://lwn.net/Articles/107303/ the MODULE_PARM() may have
    been marked deprecated already since 2004, and there are module fixes
    for this dating 2004.

    Is there some way (some gcc switch?) to get a warning about deprecated
    methods or macros? Same way like java warns about deprecated things?

    As, while gcc will warn about some very few, it did not amongst others
    warn about MODULE_PARM, class_simple_create, etc. Any ideas?

    - Jan

  2. Re: check what methods or macros deprecated like MODULE_PARM?

    On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 18:46:37 +0300, Jan Wagner wrote:

    > As, while gcc will warn about some very few, it did not amongst others
    > warn about MODULE_PARM, class_simple_create, etc. Any ideas?

    It does warn on RHEL-4 codebase, which is 2.6.9 based for crying out loud.
    Just how much earlier do you want?

    -- Pete

  3. Re: check what methods or macros deprecated like MODULE_PARM?

    Pete Zaitcev wrote:
    > On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 18:46:37 +0300, Jan Wagner wrote:
    >>As, while gcc will warn about some very few, it did not amongst others
    >>warn about MODULE_PARM, class_simple_create, etc. Any ideas?

    > It does warn on RHEL-4 codebase, which is 2.6.9 based for crying out loud.
    > Just how much earlier do you want?

    Back a bit late...

    hmm, so it is supposed to warn at least in RH's own kernel source? I
    definitely am not getting any gcc warnings for MODULE_PARM nor got any
    for class_simple_create in kernel.org source.

    Any trick to get the warning for e.g. MODULE_PARM?

    Some special compile option, other than
    $(MAKE) -C $(KDIR) SUBDIRS=$(PWD) modules
    or the M=$(PWD) variant...? (i'm only getting funcs e.g. check_region
    warned as deprecated, and objdump __obsparm is quite empty)

    thanks,
    - Jan

+ Reply to Thread