glibc-2.4 and version.h - Linux

This is a discussion on glibc-2.4 and version.h - Linux ; Howdy, I have looked at the HOWTO, and some documentation for version 2.0.x, the FAQ and the README. slack 10.2, kernel 2.4.x glibc-2.4 kernel source 2.6.16 gcc 4.1 Built the new gcc and installed it on a fresh partition. (trying ...

  1. glibc-2.4 and version.h

    Howdy,

    I have looked at the HOWTO, and some documentation for version 2.0.x,
    the FAQ and the README.

    slack 10.2, kernel 2.4.x
    glibc-2.4
    kernel source 2.6.16
    gcc 4.1

    Built the new gcc and installed it on a fresh partition. (trying to
    make a distro)

    Decompressed the new kernel sources.

    Trying to build glibc 2.4 with --prefix pointed at the new partition,
    and --alt-headers (or whatever) at the new kernel sources.

    "make" is looking for linux/include/linux/version.h

    This file does not exist in the new kernel source. Not even after
    running configure and compiling the kernel. However it does exist in
    the old kernel source, which is found by make, and then rejected for
    being too old.

    What is the best way to fix this?

    -Thanks!
    -Matt

  2. Re: glibc-2.4 and version.h

    On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 11:01:38 -0700, shrike wrote:

    > "make" is looking for linux/include/linux/version.h
    >
    > This file does not exist in the new kernel source. Not even after
    > running configure and compiling the kernel. However it does exist in
    > the old kernel source, which is found by make, and then rejected for
    > being too old.

    [zaitcev@lembas ~]$ ls ksrc/linux-2.6.17-rc5-lem/include/linux/version.h
    ksrc/linux-2.6.17-rc5-lem/include/linux/version.h
    [zaitcev@lembas ~]$ cat ksrc/linux-2.6.17-rc5-lem/include/linux/version.h
    #define UTS_RELEASE "2.6.17-rc5-lem"
    #define LINUX_VERSION_CODE 132625
    #define KERNEL_VERSION(a,b,c) (((a) << 16) + ((b) << 8) + (c))
    [zaitcev@lembas ~]$

    Search better.

    -- Pete

  3. Re: glibc-2.4 and version.h

    Pete Zaitcev wrote:
    > On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 11:01:38 -0700, shrike wrote:
    >
    > > "make" is looking for linux/include/linux/version.h
    > >
    > > This file does not exist in the new kernel source. Not even after
    > > running configure and compiling the kernel. However it does exist in
    > > the old kernel source, which is found by make, and then rejected for
    > > being too old.

    > [zaitcev@lembas ~]$ ls ksrc/linux-2.6.17-rc5-lem/include/linux/version.h
    > ksrc/linux-2.6.17-rc5-lem/include/linux/version.h
    > [zaitcev@lembas ~]$ cat ksrc/linux-2.6.17-rc5-lem/include/linux/version.h
    > #define UTS_RELEASE "2.6.17-rc5-lem"
    > #define LINUX_VERSION_CODE 132625
    > #define KERNEL_VERSION(a,b,c) (((a) << 16) + ((b) << 8) + (c))
    > [zaitcev@lembas ~]$
    >
    > Search better.
    >
    > -- Pete

    OK,

    I was building the kernel with the O=../foo option, and configuring
    glibc pointed at the root sources. version.h is stuck with the object
    files at compile time. So the headers are in /usr/src/foo instead of
    /usr/src/linux.

    -Doh!
    -Matt

+ Reply to Thread