latest status on multi-seat linux? - Linux

This is a discussion on latest status on multi-seat linux? - Linux ; I'm considering building a new system that I would like to run as a multi-seat workstation (i.e. two video cards, two monitors, two keyboards, two mice, two separate X desktops). I did a bunch of googling and reading on the ...

  1. latest status on multi-seat linux?

    I'm considering building a new system that I would like to run as a
    multi-seat workstation (i.e. two video cards, two monitors, two
    keyboards, two mice, two separate X desktops).

    I did a bunch of googling and reading on the subject and I only saw a
    few brief mentions of multi-seat and the 2.6 kernel. Most tutorials
    were dealing with the "backstreet ruby" patch for the 2.4 kernel. I
    also didn't see much regarding Xorg 6.9/7.0.

    I was wondering what the current status of the multi-seat code was. Do
    you have to patch the 2.6 kernel or has the "backstreet ruby" stuff
    been incorporated into the latest kernels? Does Xorg 6.9/7.0 support
    multi-seat? All of the tutorials I saw dealt with Xfree 4.0.

    I'm planning on building the system with a Pentium D 930, 2GB RAM, and
    2 Nvidia PCI-Express x16 video cards. Has anybody attempted this with
    PCI-Express video cards? Again, I only read about AGP/PCI setups.

    Thanks,
    Dave

  2. Re: latest status on multi-seat linux?

    Dave wrote:

    > I was wondering what the current status of the multi-seat code was. Do
    > you have to patch the 2.6 kernel or has the "backstreet ruby" stuff
    > been incorporated into the latest kernels? Does Xorg 6.9/7.0 support
    > multi-seat? All of the tutorials I saw dealt with Xfree 4.0.

    I haven't tried it myself, but I noticed that the latest Ubuntu
    release Dapper had a option to install as a multiseat system.
    Dapper uses a 2.6 kernel and Xorg 7.

    HTH,
    Erik
    Erik de Castro Lopo
    `If you want a vision of the future, it is a wireless broadband
    network feeding requests for foreign money-laundering assistance
    into a human temporal lobe, forever. With banner ads.'
    -- John M. Ford

  3. Re: latest status on multi-seat linux?

    > I haven't tried it myself, but I noticed that the latest Ubuntu
    > release Dapper had a option to install as a multiseat system.
    > Dapper uses a 2.6 kernel and Xorg 7.

    Is the option part of the standard installer? I did see a post in the
    Linux Console Project mailing list archives about a set of scripts that
    could do that.

    Has anybody tried the Ubuntu multiseat config?

    Dave

  4. Re: latest status on multi-seat linux?

    On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 11:04:49 -0700, Dave wrote:

    > I'm planning on building the system with a Pentium D 930, 2GB RAM, and
    > 2 Nvidia PCI-Express x16 video cards. Has anybody attempted this with
    > PCI-Express video cards? Again, I only read about AGP/PCI setups.

    You are thinking about an easy part. It's much harder to provide two
    sets of keyboards and mice. The input framework in Linux emphatically
    does not allow that. So, you'll need an input device which bypasses
    the input framework, such a serial-attached keyboard. Video is a piece
    of cake by comparison.

    -- Pete

  5. Re: latest status on multi-seat linux?

    Pete Zaitcev wrote:

    > On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 11:04:49 -0700, Dave wrote:
    >
    >> I'm planning on building the system with a Pentium D 930, 2GB RAM, and
    >> 2 Nvidia PCI-Express x16 video cards. Has anybody attempted this with
    >> PCI-Express video cards? Again, I only read about AGP/PCI setups.

    > You are thinking about an easy part. It's much harder to provide two
    > sets of keyboards and mice. The input framework in Linux emphatically
    > does not allow that. So, you'll need an input device which bypasses
    > the input framework, such a serial-attached keyboard. Video is a piece
    > of cake by comparison.
    >
    > -- Pete

    Intrinsically incorrect, Unix / Linux are both built to handle multiple
    simultaneous users. The issue is configuration with USB keyboards and mice
    (The old direct and ps/2 type mice have a hardware limitation). Usual
    practice in the late 1980's has been to telnet or ssh (with or without x
    support) from another complete computer (or X terminal).

    Hail the re-entrance of the micromini, built on the much faster platform of
    current micros and taking up to any number of users via remote logon.
    Hail the new thin X terminals. (ow my cheek hurts };-)))

    --
    JosephKK
    Gegen dummheit kampfen die Gotter Selbst, vergebens.**

+ Reply to Thread