network device getting opened - Linux

This is a discussion on network device getting opened - Linux ; Hi all, I am trying to test the ethernet driver through mounting file system. A bit strange but the thing is that the ramdisk is not yet up and I wanted to check the xmit functionality through the ARP message ...

  1. network device getting opened

    Hi all,

    I am trying to test the ethernet driver through mounting file system.
    A bit strange but the thing is that the ramdisk is not yet up and I
    wanted to check
    the xmit functionality through the ARP message that kernel sends while
    mounting the nfs.
    For that, I wanted to know when exactly does the kenel calls the device
    open function in net_device structure? Also when exactly does the
    dev->xmit will get called. If any one can give code level references,
    it will be great.

    Regards,
    Sagar

  2. Re: network device getting opened

    I believe the interface is "openned" when you do
    ifconfig eth? up
    where eth? is the interface in question, it could be eth0, eth1, etc,
    or a totally different name if your driver gives it.

    Most easy one to trigger transmit, is to "ping", which in first case
    will trigger ARP to be sent.

    Max

    Sagar Borikar wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I am trying to test the ethernet driver through mounting file system.
    > A bit strange but the thing is that the ramdisk is not yet up and I
    > wanted to check
    > the xmit functionality through the ARP message that kernel sends while
    > mounting the nfs.
    > For that, I wanted to know when exactly does the kenel calls the device
    > open function in net_device structure? Also when exactly does the
    > dev->xmit will get called. If any one can give code level references,
    > it will be great.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Sagar

+ Reply to Thread