filesystem versioning - Linux

This is a discussion on filesystem versioning - Linux ; Hi all! i'm searching for a tool to maintain backup copies of a filesystem i'm working on. I try svn (i have to use branche of development) but it can't handle correctly device file. What can I use to do ...

  1. filesystem versioning

    Hi all!
    i'm searching for a tool to maintain backup copies of a filesystem
    i'm working on.

    I try svn (i have to use branche of development) but it can't handle
    correctly device file.

    What can I use to do it?

    thanks,
    mistral

  2. Re: filesystem versioning

    mistralxxx77 wrote:
    > Hi all!
    > i'm searching for a tool to maintain backup copies of a filesystem
    > i'm working on.
    >
    > I try svn (i have to use branche of development) but it can't handle
    > correctly device file.
    >
    > What can I use to do it?

    I don't know of any tool with commit/update/merge functionality even for
    *devices*; since devices usually reside in /dev you might want to treat
    them separately and back them up using something like tar or cpio.

    Or you could extend subversion to handle devices, but that is probably
    overkill.

    Notice that in modern Linux distributions /dev is generally managed by
    udev; backing it up does not really make a lot of sense anyway. If you
    backed up the udev configuration and rules all the devices will be
    re-generated on reboot anyway.

    Greetings,
    Aaron

  3. Re: filesystem versioning

    Aaron Isotton wrote:
    > mistralxxx77 wrote:
    >
    >>Hi all!
    >> i'm searching for a tool to maintain backup copies of a filesystem
    >>i'm working on.
    >>
    >>I try svn (i have to use branche of development) but it can't handle
    >>correctly device file.
    >>
    >>What can I use to do it?

    > I don't know of any tool with commit/update/merge functionality even for
    > *devices*; since devices usually reside in /dev you might want to treat
    > them separately and back them up using something like tar or cpio.
    >
    > Or you could extend subversion to handle devices, but that is probably
    > overkill.
    >
    > Notice that in modern Linux distributions /dev is generally managed by
    > udev; backing it up does not really make a lot of sense anyway. If you
    > backed up the udev configuration and rules all the devices will be
    > re-generated on reboot anyway.
    >
    > Greetings,
    > Aaron

    To the OP: Please note that the same considerations apply
    to the pseudo-files in /proc - there's no sense in attempting
    to version them. The 'file' contents are generated by the
    kernel on-the-fly when the file is accessed.

    --

    Tauno Voipio
    tauno voipio (at) iki fi

+ Reply to Thread