kernel booting - Linux

This is a discussion on kernel booting - Linux ; I seem to be having this problem booting again. I'm using lilo now. And I have renamed the 2.6.16 kernel from bzImage to vmlinuz-2.6.16 and put it in lilo as such. image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.16 Now the rest of the boot info is ...

  1. kernel booting

    I seem to be having this problem booting again. I'm using lilo now. And
    I have renamed the 2.6.16 kernel from bzImage to vmlinuz-2.6.16 and put it
    in lilo as such.

    image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.16

    Now the rest of the boot info is where I'm confused. My lilo asks for map
    and boot. The default is.
    boot=/boot/boot.b //RH 7.0
    map=/boot/map

    Now the 2.6 kernel creates System.map-2.6.16. And vmlinux. What files do
    I need to copy from /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot to the /boot directory
    other than bzImage to boot the 2.6.16 kernel? There is no map file there so
    that must be old from the 2.2 kernel. There is a bootsect there and a
    bootsect with extensions .S and .o is the bootsect an executable? Does it
    need to go to boot=/boot/bootsect in lilo? What about the map that lilo asks
    for? There's also some files the compiled kernel generates called end.S.
    What do I need to get copied to where to boot this new kernel?

    Bill

  2. Re: kernel booting

    > Why not just do "make install"? Or doesn't Red Hat have a program that
    > builds an rpm from kernel source, like make-kpkg in Debian? I could ask
    > why you are using a new kernel with RH 7, but I'm sure you have reasons.

    I do do make install. And System.map and vmlinuz are copied to the /boot
    directory. RPMS and debs can be generated from the kernel source. I do make
    menuconfig and left everything default except somethings I wanted in modules
    to keep from having a monolithic kernel of a huge size. Then did make which
    compiles the kernel image and the modules as I understand. Then make
    modules_install. Then make install.
    I want a new kernel with old 7 because I have other new things in it
    like binutils gcc I'm trying to compile glibc-2.3 so I can install XFree86
    on that.
    Then lilo says
    boot= and a tree listing
    map= and direct tree listing
    These need to be changed. They're giving me CRC checksum problems and the
    system halts. Everything else in lilo is in place.

    Bill

  3. Re: kernel booting

    Bill Cunningham wrote:

    >> Why not just do "make install"? Or doesn't Red Hat have a program that
    >> builds an rpm from kernel source, like make-kpkg in Debian? I could ask
    >> why you are using a new kernel with RH 7, but I'm sure you have reasons.
    >>

    > I do do make install. And System.map and vmlinuz are copied to the /boot
    > directory. RPMS and debs can be generated from the kernel source. I do make
    > menuconfig and left everything default except somethings I wanted in modules
    > to keep from having a monolithic kernel of a huge size. Then did make which
    > compiles the kernel image and the modules as I understand. Then make
    > modules_install. Then make install.
    > I want a new kernel with old 7 because I have other new things in it
    > like binutils gcc I'm trying to compile glibc-2.3 so I can install XFree86
    > on that.
    > Then lilo says
    > boot= and a tree listing
    > map= and direct tree listing
    > These need to be changed. They're giving me CRC checksum problems and the
    > system halts. Everything else in lilo is in place.
    >
    > Bill

    When is lilo giving you these messages? When booting, or when you run
    /sbin/lilo?
    The lilo map file bears no relation to the System.map file, it's
    simply where lilo stores the information (like disk addresses) that it
    needs to load parts of itself and the kernel. It needs to be rebuilt
    by executing /sbin/lilo after any file used by lilo to boot is
    changed.

    Jerry

  4. Re: kernel booting

    > When is lilo giving you these messages? When booting, or when you run
    > /sbin/lilo?
    > The lilo map file bears no relation to the System.map file, it's
    > simply where lilo stores the information (like disk addresses) that it
    > needs to load parts of itself and the kernel. It needs to be rebuilt
    > by executing /sbin/lilo after any file used by lilo to boot is
    > changed.
    >
    > Jerry

    I didn't know that. I don't run /sbin/lilo. I manually move bzImage into
    the /boot and rename it. I run loadlin.exe in win98 DOS 7 mode and run the
    kernel image I copy into my windows directory. That's how I boot linux.

    Bill
    loadlin ln (kernel image) /dev/hda2

  5. Re: kernel booting

    > When is lilo giving you these messages? When booting, or when you run
    > /sbin/lilo?

    In bash I just type "lilo". I don't use sbin/lilo. Are they the same?
    At the boot= in the lilo.conf file should it be boot=/boot/bootsect ? What I
    have there now is boot.b

    Bill

  6. Re: kernel booting

    "Bill Marcum" wrote in message

    > "lilo" and "/sbin/lilo" are the same if /sbin is in your PATH. In your
    > other post you said you boot with loadlin. You only need one boot
    > loader, whether it's loadlin or lilo or grub or something else. If you
    > use lilo, "boot=" should have the name of a drive or partition, probably
    > boot=/dev/hda. "install=" would contain the name of the boot sector
    > file (in versions of lilo before 22.3.)

    Ok if I use loadlin does that bypass lilo altogether? I'm using such an
    old version of RH that alot could've changed in the kernel since RH 7. I use
    whatever version of lilo comes with that distro. I haven't updated it. I
    have thought about trying grub. There is no compiled boot.b file in the
    2.6.16 kernel files. But my lilo refers to it because of the 2.2 kernel.
    Boot.b needs to be replaced with something. Is there any good docs
    somewhere concerning the kernel. The 2.6 kernel?

    Bill

  7. Re: kernel booting

    Bill Cunningham wrote:

    > "Bill Marcum" wrote in message
    >>
    >> "lilo" and "/sbin/lilo" are the same if /sbin is in your PATH. In your
    >> other post you said you boot with loadlin. You only need one boot
    >> loader, whether it's loadlin or lilo or grub or something else. If you
    >> use lilo, "boot=" should have the name of a drive or partition, probably
    >> boot=/dev/hda. "install=" would contain the name of the boot sector
    >> file (in versions of lilo before 22.3.)
    >>

    > Ok if I use loadlin does that bypass lilo altogether? I'm using such an
    > old version of RH that alot could've changed in the kernel since RH 7. I use
    > whatever version of lilo comes with that distro. I haven't updated it. I
    > have thought about trying grub. There is no compiled boot.b file in the
    > 2.6.16 kernel files. But my lilo refers to it because of the 2.2 kernel.
    > Boot.b needs to be replaced with something. Is there any good docs
    > somewhere concerning the kernel. The 2.6 kernel?
    >
    > Bill

    boot.b is part of lilo, which is why there's no boot.b in the
    kernel.
    ~$ ls /boot/lilo -l
    total 92
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 6128 2001-06-15 01:38 boot-menu.b
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4368 2001-06-15 01:38 boot-text.b
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 512 2002-03-22 21:31 boot.0300
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 11 2006-03-29 11:05 boot.b -> boot-menu.b
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 179 2002-03-22 21:31 boot_message.txt
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 624 2001-06-15 01:38 chain.b
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 23624 2001-06-22 18:11 config
    -rw------- 1 root root 36352 2002-10-11 13:00 map
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 652 2001-06-15 01:38 os2_d.b

    As you can see, boot.b is a symlink to boot-menu.b. This is probably
    from an old Slackware 9.something install, BTW. I converted to grub at
    least 5 years ago.
    My question is why you're worrying about lilo if you use loadlin to
    boot? As the other poster pointed out, you only need _one_ boot
    loader.

    Jerry

  8. Re: kernel booting

    > My question is why you're worrying about lilo if you use loadlin to
    > boot? As the other poster pointed out, you only need _one_ boot
    > loader.
    >
    > Jerry

    Well maybe my problem is in the kernel image I'm compiling then. Nothing
    I've compiled yet will boot.

    Bill

  9. Re: kernel booting

    Well I might try make oldconfig then answer all the questions as the
    defaults. Then compile that. Otherwise I might need to get a 2.4 kernel and
    make a diff between it and the 2.6 kernel.

    Bill

  10. Re: kernel booting

    > Make oldconfig might work. Or you might consider installing a distro
    > recent enough to have a 2.6 kernel already compiled. I doubt you will
    > get anything useful from a diff between 2.4 and 2.6 kernel sources.

    Ok I booted from lilo. No problem. Everything booted great. Then I tried
    to boot from win98se DOS mode using loadlin and the kernel image I copied
    into windows and it failed to boot. The problem must be loadlin.exe has
    there been an alternative or updates to loadlin since RH 7 ? That's my
    problem.
    I don't like Fedora. I have a AMD x64 and it won't work at all. So I use
    my RH 7 and 9 With my i686. 32 bit cpu. I would like to get a 64 bit version
    of linux. Maybe debian or suse will work.

    Bill

  11. Re: kernel booting

    Bill Cunningham wrote in part:
    > Ok I booted from lilo. No problem. Everything booted great. Then
    > I tried to boot from win98se DOS mode using loadlin and the
    > kernel image I copied into windows and it failed to boot. The
    > problem must be loadlin.exe has there been an alternative or
    > updates to loadlin since RH 7 ? That's my problem.

    MS-Win98se DOS box won't work. You have to shutdown to DOS.
    And I'm not 100% certain LOADLIN.EXE still works on the latest
    or bloated kernels. Changes were made, and the kernel now
    no longer boots when cat'd to a floppy.

    > I don't like Fedora. I have a AMD x64 and it won't work
    > at all. So I use my RH 7 and 9 With my i686. 32 bit cpu. I
    > would like to get a 64 bit version of linux. Maybe debian
    > or suse will work.

    I've tried Debian AMD64, and it works. Since I cannot abide
    SysV /etc/rc.d mess'o'symlinks, I stick with Slackware and
    it's off-shoot slamd64.

    -- Robert

  12. Re: kernel booting

    > MS-Win98se DOS box won't work. You have to shutdown to DOS.
    > And I'm not 100% certain LOADLIN.EXE still works on the latest
    > or bloated kernels. Changes were made, and the kernel now
    > no longer boots when cat'd to a floppy.

    I had shutdown to DOS. DOS 7.1 and not the DOS box so loadlin isn't
    working with the 2.6 kernel I guess.

    Bill

+ Reply to Thread