injecting faults into device drivers - Linux

This is a discussion on injecting faults into device drivers - Linux ; Hi group, I am looking for some simple device drivers with known faults to evaluate a tool I am working on. The goal of the tool is to be able to detect common issues such as buffer overflows, memory freeing ...

  1. injecting faults into device drivers

    Hi group,

    I am looking for some simple device drivers with known faults to
    evaluate a tool I am working on. The goal of the tool is to be able to
    detect common issues such as buffer overflows, memory freeing issues
    etc. Is there someplace where these drivers can be found?

    cheers!
    Sarah

  2. Re: injecting faults into device drivers

    sarah.dzion@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi group,
    >
    > I am looking for some simple device drivers with known faults to
    > evaluate a tool I am working on. The goal of the tool is to be able to
    > detect common issues such as buffer overflows, memory freeing issues
    > etc. Is there someplace where these drivers can be found?
    >
    > cheers!
    > Sarah

    The Sagem Fast 800 USB DSL Modem drivers (the official ones, not the
    alternative Eagle drivers) are full of memory leaks.

    --
    Francois Goudal
    Epita promo 2008 - Ing1 - Tresorier Evolutek

  3. Re: injecting faults into device drivers

    wrote in message
    news:1144997207.645664.157330@t31g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com...
    | Hi group,
    |
    | I am looking for some simple device drivers with known faults to
    | evaluate a tool I am working on. The goal of the tool is to be able to
    | detect common issues such as buffer overflows, memory freeing issues
    | etc. Is there someplace where these drivers can be found?
    |
    | cheers!
    | Sarah

    Well ... if you read the release notes for a kernel version you'll usually
    find several modules that have been updated or corrected. Just get the
    version from the previous release. This should give you an almost
    bottomless pit to choose from ;-))

    Norm

  4. Re: injecting faults into device drivers

    This is a new approach - make bugs occur. I have created many bugs,
    certainly not intentionally. But, Sarah, my guess is, if you tweak
    something,
    There is a good probability you will have broken something.

    Now, the most obvious question that hasn't yet been asked......

    What is it you are working on and if its successful - will you share?

    Bill