Generating Interrupts from a pseudo device - Linux

This is a discussion on Generating Interrupts from a pseudo device - Linux ; Hi, This is what I am looking for: ----------------------------------------- I have a pseudo device, you can assume the device to have any function, lets assume its either a network device or a storage device. I want to fool the programs ...

  1. Generating Interrupts from a pseudo device

    Hi,

    This is what I am looking for:
    I have a pseudo device, you can assume the device to have any function,
    lets assume its either a network device or a storage device.
    I want to fool the programs into thinking that it is a real device.
    The programs in question, for example, may even be filesystem code.
    I want the device to be able generate interrupts, so that the program
    thats using it will think its a real device, from which it can read or
    to which it could write.

    My first question is, is this possible?
    My second question is, is there a mechanism in the Linux that could
    enable me to do this?

    Thanks & Regards,
    Draw

  2. Re: Generating Interrupts from a pseudo device

    hi, I do not quite understand what "interrupt" mean in your article
    interrupts are generated by hardware and sent into CPU through wire

  3. Re: Generating Interrupts from a pseudo device

    OK...lemme see if I can explain this better. I want to write
    code(preferably C) to generate a hardware interrupt, I don't care at
    this time for the interrupt handler, thats something I will deal with
    later. What I care about is generating a hardware interrupt to indicate
    a change in status of my pseudo device, maybe like it is now read to be
    read from.
    >From what little I know, the INT instruction on 8086, may be able to do

    that, but then I am sure I will have to do some other work before that.
    Can you shed some light on this?

    Thanks, Draw

  4. Re: Generating Interrupts from a pseudo device

    drawoh@rediffmail.com wrote:
    > OK...lemme see if I can explain this better. I want to write
    > code(preferably C) to generate a hardware interrupt, I don't care at

    software emulated "hardware interrupt"?

    just solder 2 wires to two pins at your centronics interface. or use
    gpio pins or something. that would be hardware interrupt.

  5. Re: Generating Interrupts from a pseudo device

    First, a hardware interupt is generated because something changed in
    hardware. Of course it is possible to build hardware that responds
    to a software command with an interrupt. But using the normal hardware
    available in a PC, it isn't possible to get a piece of hardware to
    react to a software command only by returning an interrupt.

    Going a bit further, what kind of reaction to you want to happen. You can
    read from and write to devices without having interrupts. A good example
    is a RamDisk. That is completely implemented in software, no interrupts.
    Look in your kernel source tree for that code.

    Bill