Creating a simple webserver application in embedded linux - Linux

This is a discussion on Creating a simple webserver application in embedded linux - Linux ; Hi, I want to create a simple web application in Embedded Linux. I downloaded thttpd from www.acme.com I am not sure to create a simple application. If there is any website which says steps for creating simple webserver application for ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

  1. Creating a simple webserver application in embedded linux

    Hi,
    I want to create a simple web application in Embedded Linux.
    I downloaded thttpd from www.acme.com
    I am not sure to create a simple application.
    If there is any website which says steps for creating simple
    webserver application for embedded linux suggest me.
    Suggest me steps to create simple webserver application for ARM.

    Regards,
    Kirthika

  2. Re: Creating a simple webserver application in embedded linux

    On a sunny day (Fri, 20 Jul 2007 04:31:10 -0700) it happened kracks
    wrote in
    <1184931070.227796.173280@i38g2000prf.googlegroups. com>:

    >Hi,
    > I want to create a simple web application in Embedded Linux.
    > I downloaded thttpd from www.acme.com
    > I am not sure to create a simple application.
    > If there is any website which says steps for creating simple
    >webserver application for embedded linux suggest me.
    >Suggest me steps to create simple webserver application for ARM.
    >
    >Regards,
    >Kirthika

    Busybox has a httpd client.
    You already have busybox IIRC, reconfigure with httpd enabled.

  3. Re: Creating a simple webserver application in embedded linux

    On a sunny day (Fri, 20 Jul 2007 12:15:52 GMT) it happened Jan Panteltje
    wrote in :

    >On a sunny day (Fri, 20 Jul 2007 04:31:10 -0700) it happened kracks
    > wrote in
    ><1184931070.227796.173280@i38g2000prf.googlegroups. com>:
    >
    >>Hi,
    >> I want to create a simple web application in Embedded Linux.
    >> I downloaded thttpd from www.acme.com
    >> I am not sure to create a simple application.
    >> If there is any website which says steps for creating simple
    >>webserver application for embedded linux suggest me.
    >>Suggest me steps to create simple webserver application for ARM.
    >>
    >>Regards,
    >>Kirthika

    >Busybox has a httpd client.

    Eh, server I mean.

    >You already have busybox IIRC, reconfigure with httpd enabled.

  4. Re: Creating a simple webserver application in embedded linux

    On Jul 20, 5:19 pm, Jan Panteltje wrote:
    > On a sunny day (Fri, 20 Jul 2007 12:15:52 GMT) it happened Jan Panteltje
    > wrote in :
    >

    > >On a sunny day (Fri, 20 Jul 2007 04:31:10 -0700) it happened kracks
    > > wrote in
    > ><1184931070.227796.173...@i38g2000prf.googlegroups. com>:

    > >>Hi,
    > >> I want to create a simple web application in Embedded Linux.
    > >> I downloaded thttpd fromwww.acme.com
    > >> I am not sure to create a simple application.
    > >> If there is any website which says steps for creating simple
    > >>webserver application for embedded linux suggest me.
    > >>Suggest me steps to create simple webserver application for ARM.

    > >>Regards,
    > >>Kirthika

    > >Busybox has a httpd client.

    > Eh, server I mean.
    >

    > >You already have busybox IIRC, reconfigure with httpd enabled.- Hide quoted text -

    Eh, server.. i don't have idea.

    Pls suggest me website for just going through this.

    httpd is client side

    WebServer based application only we are doing.
    I have to do with thttpd only.
    I just want to know the steps for building html pages using thttpd
    webserver.

    I searched in web. I didn't get any solid idea.

    Suggest me steps for building html pages or web page using thttpd
    server.

    Regards,
    Kirthika.

  5. Re: Creating a simple webserver application in embedded linux

    kracks wrote:
    > WebServer based application only we are doing.
    > I have to do with thttpd only.
    > I just want to know the steps for building html pages using thttpd
    > webserver.

    Html pages are plain text files, just write them with your favorite text
    editor, place them somewhere on the filesystem and tell the location to
    thttpd with the -d option.

    --
    Markku Kolkka
    markku.kolkka@iki.fi

  6. Re: Creating a simple webserver application in embedded linux

    kracks wrote:

    > httpd is client side

    No, httpd is a server program. If it's in your embedded box, your box is
    also a server.

    Tim

  7. Re: Creating a simple webserver application in embedded linux

    On a sunny day (Fri, 20 Jul 2007 06:01:38 -0700) it happened kracks
    wrote in
    <1184936498.059059.49580@x35g2000prf.googlegroups.c om>:

    >httpd is client side

    No it is a server.

    >WebServer based application only we are doing.

    >I have to do with thttpd only.

    >I just want to know the steps for building html pages using thttpd
    >webserver.

    Use text editior, download html specs, write webpage.

    >I searched in web. I didn't get any solid idea.

    Indoin gso you must have looked at _hundreds_ of html pages, use show source in browser.

    >Suggest me steps for building html pages or web page using thttpd
    >server.

    I give up, India is not going to make it in IT, no matter how cheap they work.

    Bye

  8. Re: Creating a simple webserver application in embedded linux

    On 20 Jul., 20:41, Jan Panteltje wrote:

    > I give up, India is not going to make it in IT, no matter how cheap they work.

    Yes good news!

  9. Re: Creating a simple webserver application in embedded linux

    On Jul 21, 6:02 pm, llothar wrote:
    > On 20 Jul., 20:41, Jan Panteltje wrote:
    >
    > > I give up, India is not going to make it in IT, no matter how cheap they work.

    > Yes good news!

    Dear Kirthika ,

    I think it will be better if you try the buildroot for your
    development (http://buildroot.uclibc.org/). The buildroot already
    contains almost all type of servers such as web , ftp, etc.

    Regards,
    Maxin B. John
    Software Engineer

  10. Re: Creating a simple webserver application in embedded linux

    On Jul 20, 4:31 pm, kracks wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I want to create a simple web application in Embedded Linux.
    > I downloaded thttpd fromwww.acme.com
    > I am not sure to create a simple application.
    > If there is any website which says steps for creating simple
    > webserver application for embedded linux suggest me.
    > Suggest me steps to create simple webserver application for ARM.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Kirthika

    Hi Karthika,

    I think you are not sure what you want and what you are trying to do.
    so I suggest first you should decide yourself what exactly you want to
    do.

    Anyways let me just understand the problem. Is it like you have a box
    and you want to access it through HTTP from some other PC? Or you want
    to write an HTTP server for embedded Linux box? You need two things
    first HTTP server which will be running on box and browser running on
    PC. First make sure that your box is listening on port 80 (default)
    using netstat. if it is not running you should whether your box has
    HTTPD in it and find a way to run it. You can download httpd
    application from Internet. Once box is listening for HTTP connection,
    you can connect it from any machine.

    Dinesh

  11. Re: Creating a simple webserver application in embedded linux

    On Jul 23, 10:15 am, dbansal wrote:
    > On Jul 20, 4:31 pm, kracks wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > > I want to create a simple web application in Embedded Linux.
    > > I downloaded thttpd fromwww.acme.com
    > > I am not sure to create a simple application.
    > > If there is any website which says steps for creating simple
    > > webserver application for embedded linux suggest me.
    > > Suggest me steps to create simple webserver application for ARM.

    > > Regards,
    > > Kirthika

    > Hi Karthika,
    >
    > I think you are not sure what you want and what you are trying to do.
    > so I suggest first you should decide yourself what exactly you want to
    > do.
    >
    > Anyways let me just understand the problem. Is it like you have a box
    > and you want to access it through HTTP from some other PC? Or you want
    > to write an HTTP server for embedded Linux box? You need two things
    > first HTTP server which will be running on box and browser running on
    > PC. First make sure that your box is listening on port 80 (default)
    > using netstat. if it is not running you should whether your box has
    > HTTPD in it and find a way to run it. You can download httpd
    > application from Internet. Once box is listening for HTTP connection,
    > you can connect it from any machine.
    >
    > Dinesh

    Hi,
    I am working with Webserver application development.
    I ported webserver to my target device which is thttpd(i
    downloaded from
    www.acme.com). thttpd is my server.

    I created a simple html page and i put in root file system of
    target device.

    I want to view my html page in my PC if i give address ort>
    I am not getting the page.

    I am not sure to link my html page with thttpd and to make it run
    in PC
    once i give IP address of target device.

    If i give thttpd -d
    Its not showing the web page in PC.
    How to make my web page which in target system to view in my PC once
    i give IP address of target device in PC side.

    Pls. suggest me.

    Regards,
    Kirthika

  12. Re: Creating a simple webserver application in embedded linux

    kracks schrieb:
    > Hi,
    > I am working with Webserver application development.
    > I ported webserver to my target device which is thttpd(i
    > downloaded from
    > www.acme.com). thttpd is my server.

    Fine. Perfectly possible.

    > I created a simple html page and i put in root file system of
    > target device.
    >
    > I want to view my html page in my PC if i give > address ort>
    > I am not getting the page.

    Many reasons possible. Can you ping the board? Does the httpd responds to

    $ telnet IP-ADDRESS 80

    from your developers machine?

    > If i give thttpd -d

    This is clearly wrong. Suggesting you put a file /htdocs/test.html on your
    embedded machine, it must read "thttpd -d /htdocs"

    You then may check with the browser on your developers machine by typing

    http://IP-ADDRESS/test.html

    Kind regards

    Jan

  13. Re: Creating a simple webserver application in embedded linux

    On Jul 23, 1:29 pm, Jan Kandziora wrote:
    > kracks schrieb:> Hi,
    > > I am working with Webserver application development.
    > > I ported webserver to my target device which is thttpd(i
    > > downloaded from
    > > www.acme.com). thttpd is my server.

    > Fine. Perfectly possible.
    >
    > > I created a simple html page and i put in root file system of
    > > target device.

    > > I want to view my html page in my PC if i give > > address ort>
    > > I am not getting the page.

    > Many reasons possible. Can you ping the board? Does the httpd responds to
    >
    > $ telnet IP-ADDRESS 80
    >
    > from your developers machine?
    >

    > > If i give thttpd -d

    > This is clearly wrong. Suggesting you put a file /htdocs/test.html on your
    > embedded machine, it must read "thttpd -d /htdocs"
    >
    > You then may check with the browser on your developers machine by typing
    >
    > http://IP-ADDRESS/test.html
    >
    > Kind regards
    >
    > Jan

    Hi,
    ping is working in both sides
    But if i give
    telnet , portno in target board side
    and if i view the output with Etheral analyser i was able to see the
    following response
    board sending request , PC sending acknowledgement.

    But
    telnet , portno in PC side
    PC keeps on sending request.
    No acknowledgement from device to PC.

    Ping is working in PC side as well as target board side.

    Suggest me in resolving this problem...

    Further i was not able to see the html page in my PC side when i give
    http://board ip address/test.html

    Regards,
    Kirthika

  14. Re: Creating a simple webserver application in embedded linux

    kracks schrieb:

    > But
    > telnet , portno in PC side
    > PC keeps on sending request.
    > No acknowledgement from device to PC.

    You should check "iptables -nvL" on the embedded board. Some firewall
    setting may keep incoming TCP requests outside.

    Kind regards

    Jan

  15. Re: Creating a simple webserver application in embedded linux

    On Jul 24, 1:00 am, Jan Kandziora wrote:
    > kracks schrieb:
    >
    > > But
    > > telnet , portno in PC side
    > > PC keeps on sending request.
    > > No acknowledgement from device to PC.

    > You should check "iptables -nvL" on the embedded board. Some firewall
    > setting may keep incoming TCP requests outside.
    >
    > Kind regards
    >
    > Jan

    Hi,
    I have a small doubt.
    I don't have http or httpd in my target device.
    In my target device whether i need http or httpd to make telnet
    address>, portno. to work from PC side.

    I have telnet in my target device.

    I know i am asking very basic question...

    IP tables i am checking. I was able to find Kernel Route tables only..

    Regards,
    Kirthika

  16. Re: Creating a simple webserver application in embedded linux

    On Jul 24, 1:00 am, Jan Kandziora wrote:
    > kracks schrieb:
    >
    > > But
    > > telnet , portno in PC side
    > > PC keeps on sending request.
    > > No acknowledgement from device to PC.

    > You should check "iptables -nvL" on the embedded board. Some firewall
    > setting may keep incoming TCP requests outside.
    >
    > Kind regards
    >
    > Jan

    Hi,
    In my Busybox i don't have iptables entry..
    So if i give iptables it showing unknown command in my target board
    side

    Regards,
    Kirthika

  17. Re: Creating a simple webserver application in embedded linux

    kracks wrote:

    > On Jul 24, 1:00 am, Jan Kandziora wrote:
    >> kracks schrieb:
    >>
    >> > But
    >> > telnet , portno in PC side
    >> > PC keeps on sending request.
    >> > No acknowledgement from device to PC.

    >> You should check "iptables -nvL" on the embedded board. Some firewall
    >> setting may keep incoming TCP requests outside.
    >>
    >> Kind regards
    >>
    >> Jan

    > Hi,
    > In my Busybox i don't have iptables entry..
    > So if i give iptables it showing unknown command in my target board
    > side
    >
    > Regards,
    > Kirthika

    I don't believe busybox (upto 1.6 or so) supports iptables.
    Also, iptables tends to need a strong tie in to the kernel, in that a new
    netfilter modules needs explicit support in the iptables command.

    Usually, one cross-compiles iptables from it's native sources and adds the
    result to the rootfs.

    HTH

    Tim

  18. Re: Creating a simple webserver application in embedded linux

    kracks schrieb:

    > Hi,
    > I have a small doubt.
    > I don't have http or httpd in my target device.

    Well, you need httpd on your target device to get it responing to http
    requests. What did you expect?

    (I thought it was working with locaho connection -- this was on your
    developers machine, right?)

    > In my target device whether i need http or httpd to make telnet
    > > address>, portno. to work from PC side.

    httpd.

    > I have telnet in my target device.

    You won't need a telnet or http (any browser) client, but only httpd, a http
    server.

    > I know i am asking very basic question...

    Y-E-S. This is sometimes confusing even to others.

    > IP tables i am checking. I was able to find Kernel Route tables only..

    Chances are you even have no iptables support in your target system kernel.
    Just forget about it for now.

    Kind regards

    Jan

  19. Re: Creating a simple webserver application in embedded linux

    On Jul 23, 11:29 am, kracks wrote:
    > On Jul 23, 10:15 am, dbansal wrote:
    >

    > > On Jul 20, 4:31 pm, kracks wrote:

    > > > Hi,
    > > > I want to create a simple web application in Embedded Linux.
    > > > I downloaded thttpd fromwww.acme.com
    > > > I am not sure to create a simple application.
    > > > If there is any website which says steps for creating simple
    > > > webserver application for embedded linux suggest me.
    > > > Suggest me steps to create simple webserver application for ARM.

    > > > Regards,
    > > > Kirthika

    > > Hi Karthika,

    > > I think you are not sure what you want and what you are trying to do.
    > > so I suggest first you should decide yourself what exactly you want to
    > > do.

    > > Anyways let me just understand the problem. Is it like you have a box
    > > and you want to access it through HTTP from some other PC? Or you want
    > > to write an HTTP server for embedded Linux box? You need two things
    > > first HTTP server which will be running on box and browser running on
    > > PC. First make sure that your box is listening on port 80 (default)
    > > using netstat. if it is not running you should whether your box has
    > > HTTPD in it and find a way to run it. You can download httpd
    > > application from Internet. Once box is listening for HTTP connection,
    > > you can connect it from any machine.

    > > Dinesh

    > Hi,
    > I am working with Webserver application development.
    > I ported webserver to my target device which is thttpd(i
    > downloaded from
    > www.acme.com). thttpd is my server.
    >
    > I created a simple html page and i put in root file system of
    > target device.
    >
    > I want to view my html page in my PC if i give > address ort>
    > I am not getting the page.
    >
    > I am not sure to link my html page with thttpd and to make it run
    > in PC
    > once i give IP address of target device.
    >
    > If i give thttpd -d
    > Its not showing the web page in PC.
    > How to make my web page which in target system to view in my PC once
    > i give IP address of target device in PC side.
    >
    > Pls. suggest me.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Kirthika

    I think you have to put your HTML files in /usr/local/www/data
    directory. By default your server will look for files in this
    directory only. So try putting files in this directory if you have one
    already or create new one. By the way, you can change this path to
    some other in your configuration file (/usr/local/www/thttpd_config).

  20. Re: Creating a simple webserver application in embedded linux

    On Jul 24, 5:17 pm, dbansal wrote:
    > On Jul 23, 11:29 am, kracks wrote:

    > > > Hi Karthika,

    > > > I think you are not sure what you want and what you are trying to do.
    > > > so I suggest first you should decide yourself what exactly you want to
    > > > do.

    > > > Anyways let me just understand the problem. Is it like you have a box
    > > > and you want to access it through HTTP from some other PC? Or you want
    > > > to write an HTTP server for embedded Linux box? You need two things
    > > > first HTTP server which will be running on box and browser running on
    > > > PC. First make sure that your box is listening on port 80 (default)
    > > > using netstat. if it is not running you should whether your box has
    > > > HTTPD in it and find a way to run it. You can download httpd
    > > > application from Internet. Once box is listening for HTTP connection,
    > > > you can connect it from any machine.

    > > > Dinesh

    > > Hi,
    > > I am working with Webserver application development.
    > > I ported webserver to my target device which is thttpd(i
    > > downloaded from
    > > www.acme.com). thttpd is my server.

    > > I created a simple html page and i put in root file system of
    > > target device.

    > > I want to view my html page in my PC if i give > > address ort>
    > > I am not getting the page.

    > > I am not sure to link my html page with thttpd and to make it run
    > > in PC
    > > once i give IP address of target device.

    > > If i give thttpd -d
    > > Its not showing the web page in PC.
    > > How to make my web page which in target system to view in my PC once
    > > i give IP address of target device in PC side.

    > > Pls. suggest me.

    > > Regards,
    > > Kirthika

    > I think you have to put your HTML files in /usr/local/www/data
    > directory. By default your server will look for files in this
    > directory only. So try putting files in this directory if you have one
    > already or create new one. By the way, you can change this path to
    > some other in your configuration file (/usr/local/www/thttpd_config).- Hide quoted text -

    I have thttpd as webserver in target device.
    So no problem. My confusion is cleared regarding http and thttpd.

    After creating a web page which in put in root file system of target
    device (In root
    file system i kept in usr/local/www/mywebpage.html or /www/
    mywebpage.html
    After loading my ramdisk or root file system to target device i gave
    thttpd -d /usr/local/www/ -c "*"
    And when i view the current process using ps command its showing my
    process
    thttpd -d /usr/local/www -c "*"

    I am not sure whether the binding of application with thtttp is
    correct or not.
    The above command only i used for binding.

    But somewhere the link between PC and target side thttpd is missing.
    Thats why target side is not responding to my PC request.

    After loading thttpd (which i downloaded from www.acme.com) to target
    device whether any configuration i have to do for adding my
    application other than binding with the above command.

    How to find out the fire wall in target side?

    Further i have another query. "www.acme.com" has default web page
    "index.html
    That should run know..(default)

    telnet is not working yet when i send
    request from PC side.
    How to find out where the problem is.

    Even i kept some simple web page in usr/local/www of target side.

    That also is not working.

    Help me in resolving..

    Regards
    Kirthika