recommendations for a forms2db type app - Linux

This is a discussion on recommendations for a forms2db type app - Linux ; Hello, I need to create a thick client application as part of a multi-tier enterprise project... blablabla basically a forms to database type application with some reporting and a couple of other add ons. The customer is running Windows workstations ...

  1. recommendations for a forms2db type app

    Hello, I need to create a thick client application as part of a
    multi-tier enterprise project... blablabla basically a forms to database
    type application with some reporting and a couple of other add ons.

    The customer is running Windows workstations today, but is very open to
    Linux and open source and is likely moving that way in the future. So Im
    open to creating a cross platform solution for them. Normally i'd whip
    this kind of thing out using .Net and MS Visual Studio. Java also might
    be ok with me, but the customer doesnt like it so much. They like C/C++,
    and so do I if I can find a good form designer.

    What viable choices are there? Qt is out. This is closed source. I need
    a RAD/forms designer, and DB code generation would be a plus. Is
    GTK+Glade a good tool? mono Gtk#?

    thanks

  2. Re: recommendations for a forms2db type app

    calgon writes:
    > What viable choices are there? Qt is out. This is closed source.

    Troll Tech will sell you a license.

    BTW is this a product you are developing for sale or is it for internal
    use? If the latter the GPL is no barrier: it only comes into effect when
    you distribute outside your organization.
    --
    John Hasler
    john@dhh.gt.org

  3. Re: recommendations for a forms2db type app

    calgon wrote:

    > Hello, I need to create a thick client application as part of a
    > multi-tier enterprise project... blablabla basically a forms to database
    > type application with some reporting and a couple of other add ons.
    >
    > The customer is running Windows workstations today, but is very open to
    > Linux and open source and is likely moving that way in the future. So Im
    > open to creating a cross platform solution for them. Normally i'd whip
    > this kind of thing out using .Net and MS Visual Studio. Java also might
    > be ok with me, but the customer doesnt like it so much. They like C/C++,
    > and so do I if I can find a good form designer.
    >
    > What viable choices are there? Qt is out. This is closed source. I need
    > a RAD/forms designer, and DB code generation would be a plus. Is
    > GTK+Glade a good tool? mono Gtk#?
    >
    > thanks

    I would suggest Python + Wx for the gui - it should run everywhere and look
    reasonably "native".

    However , DB forms are a pain - I have yet to find a decent RAD tool that
    wasn't VB or Access (I hate MS BTW) or C++ Builder - I have not found
    anything that comes close that is properly cross platform, so I would be
    deeply interested if anyone else has.

    Rekall was promising but seems to have died.

    But - biting the bullet and learning python + WX and handling the database
    stuff in code shouldn't be too bad a job.

    Cheers

    Tim

+ Reply to Thread