Is there any IDE similar to Visual Studio under Linux? - Linux

This is a discussion on Is there any IDE similar to Visual Studio under Linux? - Linux ; Hi, I like the GUI of Visual Studil to edit multiple files in Windows. Is there any IDE that is similar to Visual Studio under Linux? Thanks!...

  1. Is there any IDE similar to Visual Studio under Linux?

    Hi,

    I like the GUI of Visual Studil to edit multiple files in Windows. Is there
    any IDE that is similar to Visual Studio under Linux? Thanks!

  2. Re: Is there any IDE similar to Visual Studio under Linux?

    "Guofu Chen" writes:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I like the GUI of Visual Studil to edit multiple files in Windows. Is there
    > any IDE that is similar to Visual Studio under Linux? Thanks!

    Thank goodness, no. Learn some Emacs instead, and you'll never look back.

    --
    Mns Rullgrd
    mans@mansr.com

  3. Re: Is there any IDE similar to Visual Studio under Linux?

    Mns Rullgrd coughed up some electrons that declared:

    > "Guofu Chen" writes:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I like the GUI of Visual Studil to edit multiple files in Windows. Is
    >> there any IDE that is similar to Visual Studio under Linux? Thanks!

    > Thank goodness, no. Learn some Emacs instead, and you'll never look back.

    No, VIM is the best choice because you don't need 26 fingers and the mutated
    hand of a spider-alien to operate it.

    ;==>

    Seriously, to the OP: kate is a pretty reasonable syntax-highlighting editor
    that has a windows feel - it's part of KDE. If you want to get fancier,
    kdevelop is a full blown IDE with integrated editor, debugger and a basic
    understanding of several standard "make" systems (qmake, cmake,
    autoconf+gnumake).

    But Mans has a point - you should attempt to learn a few of the basics in
    VIM or Emacs, because on the day that your Xserver dies or you are at the
    other end of a show ssh session, you will appreciate it.

    Cheers

    Tim

  4. Re: Is there any IDE similar to Visual Studio under Linux?

    Guofu Chen wrote:
    > I like the GUI of Visual Studil to edit multiple files in Windows. Is
    > there any IDE that is similar to Visual Studio under Linux?

    Not specifically for Linux, but typically rather for general X11/POSIX
    systems I'm using kate and kdevelop here, both parts of KDE. There are
    others for GNOME or no desktop environment at all, you should rather make a
    websearch or try you packagemanager's search function to see what is
    available.

    Uli

  5. Re: Is there any IDE similar to Visual Studio under Linux?

    Måns Rullgård writes:

    > "Guofu Chen" writes:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I like the GUI of Visual Studil to edit multiple files in Windows. Is there
    >> any IDE that is similar to Visual Studio under Linux? Thanks!

    > Thank goodness, no. Learn some Emacs instead, and you'll never look
    > back.

    I use emacs, but its not a touch in terms of ease of use and
    functionality on Visual Studio or Eclipse - they "just work". To get
    emacs up & running as a decent C IDE takes months of effort IMO.

  6. Re: Is there any IDE similar to Visual Studio under Linux?

    Guofu Chen wrote:
    [...]
    > I like the GUI of Visual Studil to edit multiple files in Windows. Is there
    > any IDE that is similar to Visual Studio under Linux? Thanks!

    Only about a million. Take a look in your Linux distro's package manager for IDEs.

    The one I use habitually is Eclipse, with the CDT C and C++ addon, but that's
    mostly because I need a cross-platform IDE.

    --
    ┌── dg*cowlark.com ─── http://www.cowlark.com ──────────────── ──

    │ "There does not now, nor will there ever, exist a programming language in
    │ which it is the least bit hard to write bad programs." --- Flon's Axiom

  7. Re: Is there any IDE similar to Visual Studio under Linux?

    Hadron writes:

    > Mns Rullgrd writes:
    >
    >> "Guofu Chen" writes:
    >>
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I like the GUI of Visual Studil to edit multiple files in
    >>> Windows. Is there any IDE that is similar to Visual Studio under
    >>> Linux? Thanks!

    >> Thank goodness, no. Learn some Emacs instead, and you'll never look
    >> back.

    > I use emacs, but its not a touch in terms of ease of use and
    > functionality on Visual Studio or Eclipse - they "just work". To get
    > emacs up & running as a decent C IDE takes months of effort IMO.

    Eclipse may be easy to use for the things it can do (although I
    personally find it mostly annoying). Emacs, however, can do lots more
    with a only a little effort once you've made the initial learning
    investment.

    --
    Mns Rullgrd
    mans@mansr.com

  8. Re: Is there any IDE similar to Visual Studio under Linux?

    On 2007-07-11, Mns Rullgrd wrote:

    >>> Thank goodness, no. Learn some Emacs instead, and you'll
    >>> never look back.

    >> I use emacs, but its not a touch in terms of ease of use and
    >> functionality on Visual Studio or Eclipse - they "just work".
    >> To get emacs up & running as a decent C IDE takes months of
    >> effort IMO.

    > Eclipse may be easy to use for the things it can do (although
    > I personally find it mostly annoying).

    It's annoying and it's so huge/slow, I'd have to buy a new
    computer if I wanted to use it.

    > Emacs, however, can do lots more with a only a little effort
    > once you've made the initial learning investment.

    There are a bunch of others from which to choose as well

    kdevelop
    anjunta
    nedit
    slickedit
    etc.

    --
    Grant Edwards grante Yow! My Aunt MAUREEN was a
    at military advisor to IKE &

  9. Re: Is there any IDE similar to Visual Studio under Linux?

    Måns Rullgård writes:

    > Hadron writes:
    >
    >> Måns Rullgård writes:

    >>> Thank goodness, no. Learn some Emacs instead, and you'll never look
    >>> back.

    >> I use emacs, but its not a touch in terms of ease of use and
    >> functionality on Visual Studio or Eclipse - they "just work". To get
    >> emacs up & running as a decent C IDE takes months of effort IMO.

    > Eclipse may be easy to use for the things it can do (although I
    > personally find it mostly annoying). Emacs, however, can do lots more
    > with a only a little effort once you've made the initial learning
    > investment.

    You have completion and decent code navigation working reliably? You use
    tags or cscope? Do you use cedet at all? ecb? Lets compare
    notes. (Note, I dont use eclipse (yet) as it is a bit of a dog. But it
    works well like it says on the tin ...)

  10. Re: Is there any IDE similar to Visual Studio under Linux?

    David Given writes:

    > Guofu Chen wrote:
    > [...]
    >> I like the GUI of Visual Studil to edit multiple files in Windows. Is there
    >> any IDE that is similar to Visual Studio under Linux? Thanks!

    > Only about a million. Take a look in your Linux distro's package
    > manager for IDEs.

    There are almost zero IDEs like Visual Studio.

    > The one I use habitually is Eclipse, with the CDT C and C++ addon, but that's
    > mostly because I need a cross-platform IDE.

    --

  11. Re: Is there any IDE similar to Visual Studio under Linux?

    Hadron writes:

    > David Given writes:
    >
    >> Guofu Chen wrote:
    >> [...]
    >>> I like the GUI of Visual Studil to edit multiple files in
    >>> Windows. Is there any IDE that is similar to Visual Studio under
    >>> Linux? Thanks!

    >> Only about a million. Take a look in your Linux distro's package
    >> manager for IDEs.

    > There are almost zero IDEs like Visual Studio.

    None, actually. At least I've yet to come across one in Linux that
    will reliably crash the entire OS pretty much every time it's used.

    --
    Mns Rullgrd
    mans@mansr.com

  12. Re: Is there any IDE similar to Visual Studio under Linux?

    On Jul 10, 4:04 pm, "Guofu Chen" wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I like the GUI of Visual Studil to edit multiple files in Windows. Is there
    > any IDE that is similar to Visual Studio under Linux? Thanks!

    MinGW Studio http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MinGW_Developer_Studio is
    aiming to look like MSVC 6.0. The last time I tried it it had issues
    with the integrated debugging, but it may have improved in the
    meantime.

  13. Re: Is there any IDE similar to Visual Studio under Linux?

    Mns Rullgrd wrote:
    > Hadron writes:
    >
    >> David Given writes:
    >>
    >>> Guofu Chen wrote:
    >>> [...]
    >>> Only about a million. Take a look in your Linux distro's package
    >>> manager for IDEs.

    >> There are almost zero IDEs like Visual Studio.

    > None, actually. At least I've yet to come across one in Linux that
    > will reliably crash the entire OS pretty much every time it's used.

    You must have a messed up installation of Windows.
    I can honestly say I've never had the VStudio IDE
    crash the OS...

    ....bring it to a crawl, sometimes a dead stop for
    10, 15 minutes or so, but never -crash- it...

    ....of course I do keep a command prompt open and
    "pskill devenv", sometimes 3 or 4 times a day.

  14. Re: Is there any IDE similar to Visual Studio under Linux?

    Ron Ruble writes:

    > Mns Rullgrd wrote:
    >> Hadron writes:

    >>> There are almost zero IDEs like Visual Studio.

    >> None, actually. At least I've yet to come across one in Linux that
    >> will reliably crash the entire OS pretty much every time it's used.
    >>

    > You must have a messed up installation of Windows.
    > I can honestly say I've never had the VStudio IDE
    > crash the OS...
    >
    > ...bring it to a crawl, sometimes a dead stop for
    > 10, 15 minutes or so, but never -crash- it...

    I never waited that long for it to recover. Besides, none of the
    Linux vstudio lookalikes manage that feat either.

    --
    Mns Rullgrd
    mans@mansr.com

  15. Re: Is there any IDE similar to Visual Studio under Linux?

    On Jul 10, 5:04 pm, "Guofu Chen" wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I like the GUI of Visual Studil to edit multiple files in Windows. Is there
    > any IDE that is similar to Visual Studio under Linux? Thanks!

    I already think about it. Now, I'm using Eclipse in Windows and Linux.
    I think it is the best. With this you can use CDT plug-in for C++
    projects and works very well.

    Eclipse have many types of plug-ins, with these you can access CVS,
    SVN repositories, use Together from Borland to draw UML. I'm not sure,
    but I believe that you can draw your classes and then make the C++
    code, as Visio with Visual Studio Integration.
    If you want write C++ code with good user interface, take a look at
    www.trolltech.com , there you can download QT framework, with Samples
    and more. Try to find the QT Eclipse Integration, with this tool will
    be able to use a QTDesigner inside Eclipse, with much others new
    features.

    It's all. Regards,
    Andr Abrantes.

  16. Re: Is there any IDE similar to Visual Studio under Linux?

    Måns Rullgård writes:

    > Hadron writes:
    >
    >> David Given writes:
    >>
    >>> Guofu Chen wrote:
    >>> [...]
    >>>
    >>> Only about a million. Take a look in your Linux distro's package
    >>> manager for IDEs.

    >> There are almost zero IDEs like Visual Studio.

    > None, actually. At least I've yet to come across one in Linux that
    > will reliably crash the entire OS pretty much every time it's used.

    That statement makes anything else you say highly dubious.

  17. Re: Is there any IDE similar to Visual Studio under Linux?

    Måns Rullgård writes:

    > Ron Ruble writes:
    >
    >> Måns Rullgård wrote:

    >>> None, actually. At least I've yet to come across one in Linux that
    >>> will reliably crash the entire OS pretty much every time it's used.
    >>>

    >> You must have a messed up installation of Windows.
    >> I can honestly say I've never had the VStudio IDE
    >> crash the OS...
    >>
    >> ...bring it to a crawl, sometimes a dead stop for
    >> 10, 15 minutes or so, but never -crash- it...

    > I never waited that long for it to recover. Besides, none of the
    > Linux vstudio lookalikes manage that feat either.

    What Linux vstudio look alikes?

  18. Re: Is there any IDE similar to Visual Studio under Linux?

    Hadron writes:

    > Mns Rullgrd writes:
    >
    >> Hadron writes:

    >>> There are almost zero IDEs like Visual Studio.

    >> None, actually. At least I've yet to come across one in Linux that
    >> will reliably crash the entire OS pretty much every time it's used.

    > That statement makes anything else you say highly dubious.

    Oh, so you're saying your Linux IDE manages to crash the OS? Remarkable.

    --
    Mns Rullgrd
    mans@mansr.com

+ Reply to Thread