Looking for advice on Linux for x86 to run browser, flash, acrobat rdr - Linux

This is a discussion on Looking for advice on Linux for x86 to run browser, flash, acrobat rdr - Linux ; Hi, I like to know if Linux can be made lighter to run a kde like package, a browser, flash, acrobat reader and evolution mail client. Im planning to build pcs with 500Mhz processors and 5 GB hard disk for ...

  1. Looking for advice on Linux for x86 to run browser, flash, acrobat rdr

    Hi,

    I like to know if Linux can be made lighter to run a kde like package,
    a browser, flash, acrobat reader and evolution mail client. Im
    planning to build pcs with 500Mhz processors and 5 GB hard disk for
    India and China markets.

    Im planning for zero user administration on this pc, by offering
    software updates over the Internet

    Bala,

  2. Re: Looking for advice on Linux for x86 to run browser, flash, acrobat rdr

    On Jul 10, 12:29 pm, brgurut...@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I like to know if Linux can be made lighter to run a kde like package,
    > a browser, flash, acrobat reader and evolution mail client. Im
    > planning to build pcs with 500Mhz processors and 5 GB hard disk for
    > India and China markets.
    >
    > Im planning for zero user administration on this pc, by offering
    > software updates over the Internet

    www.linuxfromscratch.org/

  3. Re: Looking for advice on Linux for x86 to run browser, flash, acrobat rdr

    brguruthur@gmail.com wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I like to know if Linux can be made lighter to run a kde like package,
    > a browser, flash, acrobat reader and evolution mail client. Im
    > planning to build pcs with 500Mhz processors and 5 GB hard disk for
    > India and China markets.
    >
    > Im planning for zero user administration on this pc, by offering
    > software updates over the Internet

    You are already at a disadvantage - you have a Gnome app and KDE in the same
    sentence, so you'll likely end up with 2 sets of fat libs and random
    supporting processes running.

    Most "true" embedded hardware (eg PDAs) that goes down this route get by OK
    running QT-embedded and some very light apps. QT is *very* efficient, it's
    KDE that adds bloat.

    You are more in the middle ground, but personally I would consider not
    running something as chunky as KDE or evolution (especially both together).
    But I have no hard and fast figures, so it's just an opinion.

    What about firefox, thunderbird on a lightweight window manager (ICEWM is
    good - it's single process, fast and is impossible to bugger up by a
    mis-placed keystroke, unlike Gnome and KDE (you have to run a config editor
    or edit the files). Looks like Windows 95, but themeable. I would rate that
    as a good start for less support.

    OK, firefox isn't that light, but at least your core apps are from the same
    suite, so their cumulative impact will be less bad.

    Opera might be another choice.

    Dunno - hope some of the above helps.

    Cheers

    Tim

  4. Re: Looking for advice on Linux for x86 to run browser, flash, acrobat rdr

    On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 09:59:19 +0100, Tim Southerwood wrote:

    > brguruthur@gmail.com wrote:

    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I like to know if Linux can be made lighter to run a kde like package,
    >> a browser, flash, acrobat reader and evolution mail client. Im
    >> planning to build pcs with 500Mhz processors and 5 GB hard disk for
    >> India and China markets.
    >>
    >> Im planning for zero user administration on this pc, by offering
    >> software updates over the Internet

    >You are already at a disadvantage - you have a Gnome app and KDE in the same
    >sentence, so you'll likely end up with 2 sets of fat libs and random
    >supporting processes running.

    oh you poor ****ing baby. I suggest you spend the penny and get
    another three meg of ram and another thirty meg of hard drive space.

  5. Re: Looking for advice on Linux for x86 to run browser, flash, acrobatrdr

    Hello,

    http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/ should do the job.

    Regards,
    Markus