Query in adding SQL server to embedded Linux - Linux

This is a discussion on Query in adding SQL server to embedded Linux - Linux ; Hi, I am new to Linux. I am working in Linux platform for ARM processor. I am creating a simple application in Linux and i want to port to target device. I have SQL server with me. (mysql-server-5.0.33.tgz) which i ...

  1. Query in adding SQL server to embedded Linux

    Hi,
    I am new to Linux.
    I am working in Linux platform for ARM processor.
    I am creating a simple application in Linux and i want to port to
    target device.
    I have SQL server with me. (mysql-server-5.0.33.tgz) which i
    downloaded from web for ARM platform.

    I am not sure how to add my SQL server (application) to my kernel and
    boot to target device.

    I want this SQL server to run once my kernel is up in target device.

    Further is there any other SQL server which i can download from web
    for ARM9 CPU.

    Help me in this issue.
    How to add my SQL server to Kernel and compile.

    Regards,
    Natraj.

  2. Re: Query in adding SQL server to embedded Linux

    On a sunny day (Sun, 08 Jul 2007 03:24:27 -0700) it happened
    svnatraj@gmail.com wrote in
    <1183890267.572741.310570@i13g2000prf.googlegroups. com>:

    >Hi,
    > I am new to Linux.
    > I am working in Linux platform for ARM processor.
    > I am creating a simple application in Linux and i want to port to
    >target device.
    >I have SQL server with me. (mysql-server-5.0.33.tgz) which i
    >downloaded from web for ARM platform.
    >
    >I am not sure how to add my SQL server (application) to my kernel and
    >boot to target device.
    >
    >I want this SQL server to run once my kernel is up in target device.
    >
    >Further is there any other SQL server which i can download from web
    >for ARM9 CPU.
    >
    >Help me in this issue.
    >How to add my SQL server to Kernel and compile.
    >

    >Regards,
    >Natraj.

    SO IT IS YOU AGAIN WHY CHANGE YOUR NAME IF YOUR HEADERS POSTING STYLE AND QUESTION
    STAY THE SAME.

  3. Re: Query in adding SQL server to embedded Linux

    svnatraj@gmail.com coughed up some electrons that declared:

    > Hi,
    > I am new to Linux.
    > I am working in Linux platform for ARM processor.
    > I am creating a simple application in Linux and i want to port to
    > target device.
    > I have SQL server with me. (mysql-server-5.0.33.tgz) which i
    > downloaded from web for ARM platform.
    >
    > I am not sure how to add my SQL server (application) to my kernel and
    > boot to target device.
    >
    > I want this SQL server to run once my kernel is up in target device.
    >
    > Further is there any other SQL server which i can download from web
    > for ARM9 CPU.
    >
    > Help me in this issue.
    > How to add my SQL server to Kernel and compile.

    ^^^^^^^^^
    rootfs

    Google for "buildroot"

    Then read the documentation, configure it, build it, try it and repeat 20
    times like I did last month without anyone holding my hand.

    Once you have that, attempt to cross compile mysql.

    Are you really sure you want mysql, and not, say: sqlite?

  4. Re: Query in adding SQL server to embedded Linux

    On Jul 8, 3:59 pm, Tim Southerwood wrote:
    > svnat...@gmail.com coughed up some electrons that declared:
    >

    > > Hi,
    > > I am new to Linux.
    > > I am working in Linux platform for ARM processor.
    > > I am creating a simple application in Linux and i want to port to
    > > target device.
    > > I have SQL server with me. (mysql-server-5.0.33.tgz) which i
    > > downloaded from web for ARM platform.

    > > I am not sure how to add my SQL server (application) to my kernel and
    > > boot to target device.

    > > I want this SQL server to run once my kernel is up in target device.

    > > Further is there any other SQL server which i can download from web
    > > for ARM9 CPU.

    > > Help me in this issue.
    > > How to add my SQL server to Kernel and compile.

    > ^^^^^^^^^
    > rootfs
    >
    > Google for "buildroot"
    >
    > Then read the documentation, configure it, build it, try it and repeat 20
    > times like I did last month without anyone holding my hand.
    >
    > Once you have that, attempt to cross compile mysql.
    >
    > Are you really sure you want mysql, and not, say: sqlite?- Hide quoted text -

    Hi Janpanteltje,
    Ok found its same person. Surprise for me.
    He is my friend Natraj working along with me.He is developing
    applications for SQL server.
    For the first time he is sending message.So i typed the message.

    Bye

  5. Re: Query in adding SQL server to embedded Linux

    On a sunny day (Sun, 08 Jul 2007 07:21:04 -0700) it happened
    svnatraj@gmail.com wrote in
    <1183904464.760922.96770@m37g2000prh.googlegroups.c om>:

    >Hi Janpanteltje,
    > Ok found its same person. Surprise for me.
    > He is my friend Natraj working along with me.He is developing
    >applications for SQL server.
    > For the first time he is sending message.So i typed the message.
    >
    >Bye

    NO PROBLEM I USE POSTGRESQL

  6. Re: Query in adding SQL server to embedded Linux

    Jan Panteltje wrote:
    > NO PROBLEM I USE POSTGRESQL

    Neat. Did you do anything to PostgreSQL's memory footprint down?

    thanks
    Bob

  7. Re: Query in adding SQL server to embedded Linux

    On a sunny day (Sun, 08 Jul 2007 20:07:12 GMT) it happened Bob Smith
    wrote in :

    >Jan Panteltje wrote:
    >> NO PROBLEM I USE POSTGRESQL

    >Neat. Did you do anything to PostgreSQL's memory footprint down?
    >
    >thanks
    >Bob

    NO BECAUSE I USE IT ON THE PC.
    As an aside I doubt using advanced databases makes a lot of sense on embedded,
    unless your embedded system has more then the 8MB RAM and 2 MB FLASH.
    Even then I would probably write something simple and not refer to SQL.

    Postgresql is very slow here after some time, no idea why, I have seen many
    remarks about this using google.

  8. Re: Query in adding SQL server to embedded Linux

    Jan Panteltje coughed up some electrons that declared:

    > Postgresql is very slow here after some time, no idea why, I have seen
    > many remarks about this using google.

    Does your database have a lot of inserts/updates and/or deletes?

    If so, you need to do:

    VACUUM FULL ANALYZE

    or variants thereof regularly - see:

    http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/i...vacuuming.html

    Also, a REINDEX operation on all indexes may be a good idea. Neither or the
    above is a hard and fast rule, much depends on your data update patterns -
    but if you can afford to do both every night or week then you won't lose
    much and may win a lot.

    HTH

    Tim

  9. Re: Query in adding SQL server to embedded Linux

    On a sunny day (Sun, 08 Jul 2007 22:40:24 +0100) it happened Tim Southerwood
    wrote in <469159e5$0$640$5a6aecb4@news.aaisp.net.uk>:

    >Jan Panteltje coughed up some electrons that declared:
    >

    >> Postgresql is very slow here after some time, no idea why, I have seen
    >> many remarks about this using google.

    >Does your database have a lot of inserts/updates and/or deletes?
    >
    >If so, you need to do:
    >
    >VACUUM FULL ANALYZE
    >
    >or variants thereof regularly - see:
    >
    >http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/i...vacuuming.html
    >
    >Also, a REINDEX operation on all indexes may be a good idea. Neither or the
    >above is a hard and fast rule, much depends on your data update patterns -
    >but if you can afford to do both every night or week then you won't lose
    >much and may win a lot.
    >
    >HTH
    >
    >Tim

    Thank you, I did not know that, I have read part of that page now and saved it,
    bit late here now....
    No I would not say there is really heavy use, but sure the system can have
    uptimes of a month, so this may well have something to do with it 'vacuum'.
    Always thought such a thing was automatic....

  10. Re: Query in adding SQL server to embedded Linux

    Jan Panteltje writes:
    > No I would not say there is really heavy use, but sure the system can
    > have uptimes of a month, so this may well have something to do with it
    > 'vacuum'. Always thought such a thing was automatic....

    The autovacuum daemon is off by default. You have to turn it on in
    postgresql.conf.

    --
    John Hasler
    john@dhh.gt.org

  11. Re: Query in adding SQL server to embedded Linux

    On a sunny day (Sun, 08 Jul 2007 17:29:30 -0500) it happened John Hasler
    wrote in <871wfiwmut.fsf@toncho.dhh.gt.org>:

    >Jan Panteltje writes:
    >> No I would not say there is really heavy use, but sure the system can
    >> have uptimes of a month, so this may well have something to do with it
    >> 'vacuum'. Always thought such a thing was automatic....

    >The autovacuum daemon is off by default. You have to turn it on in
    >postgresql.conf.

    I have switched it on now.
    Thank you.
    Will have to wait a couple of days to see if things still slow down.

+ Reply to Thread