Plug-In Interface for application - Linux

This is a discussion on Plug-In Interface for application - Linux ; Hi, I am the maintainer a lead developer for an alternate syslogd (rsyslog - http://www.rsyslog.com ). I am currently thinking about how a plug-in interface could be best implemented. I've never done that under Linux. Are there any resources, web ...

  1. Plug-In Interface for application

    Hi,

    I am the maintainer a lead developer for an alternate syslogd (rsyslog
    - http://www.rsyslog.com).

    I am currently thinking about how a plug-in interface could be best
    implemented. I've never done that under Linux. Are there any
    resources, web links or such that I could consult in order to do it
    right?

    Help deeply appreciated,
    Rainer Gerhards

  2. Re: Plug-In Interface for application

    On Jul 5, 5:53 pm, rgerhards wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am the maintainer a lead developer for an alternate syslogd (rsyslog
    > -http://www.rsyslog.com).
    >
    > I am currently thinking about how a plug-in interface could be best
    > implemented. I've never done that under Linux. Are there any
    > resources, web links or such that I could consult in order to do it
    > right?
    >
    > Help deeply appreciated,
    > Rainer Gerhards

    Look into dlopen/dlsym. These functions let you load libraries at
    runtime by hand. Design an interface for your program to interact with
    the library, for instance initialization functions/communication
    functions. It's not too difficult.
    http://www.dwheeler.com/program-libr...libraries.html
    http://users.actcom.co.il/~choo/lupg...libraries.html
    http://ehuss.com/shared/

    Alternatively, you could have a plugin process running externally and
    communicate with some kind of IPC, such as shared memory, named pipes,
    or sockets.

+ Reply to Thread