how to change the limit of file number in directory - Linux

This is a discussion on how to change the limit of file number in directory - Linux ; hi all ! now i run a program £¨and it create file and write to the directory£¨but when the file number is great about 2^16,it fail to open a new file £¨ my filesystem is ext3, how can i change ...

  1. how to change the limit of file number in directory

    hi all !
    now i run a program £¨and it create file and write to the
    directory£¨but when the file number is great about 2^16,it fail to
    open
    a new file £¨
    my filesystem is ext3, how can i change this limit ? 3x

  2. Re: how to change the limit of file number in directory

    step wrote:
    > hi all !
    > now i run a program £¨and it create file and write to the
    > directory£¨but when the file number is great about 2^16,it fail to
    > open
    > a new file £¨
    > my filesystem is ext3, how can i change this limit ? 3x

    2^16(65536) sounds low. Are you sure about that number?
    There was some discussion in the linux groups recently about fundamental limits of
    ext2/3 due to design. If you're at the number of files in a directory limit you'll
    need to use multiple directories or use a filesystem with different limits.

  3. Re: how to change the limit of file number in directory

    On 7‘¬4»’, …ŌőÁ12 Ī50∑÷, Joe Beanfish wrote:
    > step wrote:
    > > hi all !
    > > now i run a program £¨and it create file and write to the
    > > directory£¨but when the file number is great about 2^16,it fail to
    > > open
    > > a new file £¨
    > > my filesystem is ext3, how can i change this limit ? 3x

    > 2^16(65536) sounds low. Are you sure about that number?
    > There was some discussion in the linux groups recently about fundamental limits of
    > ext2/3 due to design. If you're at the number of files in a directory limit you'll
    > need to use multiple directories or use a filesystem with different limits.

    yes , it can only has 2^16 per directory. now i have use multiple
    directories instead. 3x

+ Reply to Thread