Basic query on application development - Linux

This is a discussion on Basic query on application development - Linux ; Hi, I am pretty new to Linux. I am working with ARM9 (s3c2440 )CPU I ported Linux to target device. Now i want to develop a small Application in Linux. I am not sure how to start with. First i ...

  1. Basic query on application development

    Hi,
    I am pretty new to Linux.
    I am working with ARM9 (s3c2440 )CPU
    I ported Linux to target device.
    Now i want to develop a small Application in Linux.
    I am not sure how to start with.
    First i think i hv to make a simple C (file) application (Eg ."hello
    world")
    Then i have to create MakeFile.

    How to link with Kernel and how to make my application to run after
    Where to start my application and how to compile my application with
    OS.

    Help me to proceed further,

    Regards
    Kirthika

  2. Re: Basic query on application development

    On a sunny day (Thu, 28 Jun 2007 11:33:37 -0000) it happened kracks
    wrote in
    <1183030417.717442.56150@m37g2000prh.googlegroups.c om>:

    >Hi,
    > I am pretty new to Linux.
    > I am working with ARM9 (s3c2440 )CPU
    > I ported Linux to target device.
    > Now i want to develop a small Application in Linux.
    > I am not sure how to start with.
    > First i think i hv to make a simple C (file) application (Eg ."hello
    >world")

    I do it usually this way, as you probably have a cross compiler for arm,
    I write it in normal C, create a makefile with a define that defines the compiler,
    Then I compile it first for the PC (x86) (for all parts that are not hardware specific),
    and run it, in your case that would just run it and print 'hello world' on the PC.
    Then I change the define for the cross compiler, compile it again with
    all hardware specific stuff enabled, and upload it to the embedded system,
    then connect to the embedded system via -whatever, for example serial link-
    and try to run it. Most of that can be scripted.
    At least this guarantees your basic code is OK before you try to run it on the target.
    Just develop small pieces at the time, works for modules too.
    There may be issues like your embedded system runs kernel 2.4 and your PC 2.6, just
    find a way around that.

    El Pante

  3. Re: Basic query on application development

    Jan Panteltje wrote:

    > On a sunny day (Thu, 28 Jun 2007 11:33:37 -0000) it happened kracks
    > wrote in
    > <1183030417.717442.56150@m37g2000prh.googlegroups.c om>:
    >
    >>Hi,
    >> I am pretty new to Linux.
    >> I am working with ARM9 (s3c2440 )CPU
    >> I ported Linux to target device.
    >> Now i want to develop a small Application in Linux.
    >> I am not sure how to start with.
    >> First i think i hv to make a simple C (file) application (Eg ."hello
    >>world")

    > I do it usually this way, as you probably have a cross compiler for arm,
    > I write it in normal C, create a makefile with a define that defines the
    > compiler, Then I compile it first for the PC (x86) (for all parts that are
    > not hardware specific), and run it, in your case that would just run it
    > and print 'hello world' on the PC. Then I change the define for the cross
    > compiler, compile it again with all hardware specific stuff enabled, and
    > upload it to the embedded system, then connect to the embedded system via
    > -whatever, for example serial link- and try to run it. Most of that can be
    > scripted. At least this guarantees your basic code is OK before you try to
    > run it on the target. Just develop small pieces at the time, works for
    > modules too. There may be issues like your embedded system runs kernel 2.4
    > and your PC 2.6, just find a way around that.
    >
    > El Pante

    I would add that http://buildroot.uclibc.org/ gives a pretty civilised cross
    compiler toolchain based on uClibc - can also generate a full linux system
    with kernel, busybox, python, X and microperl if you wish. It's optional
    how much you use. I believe it targets ARM9.

    Cheers

    Tim

  4. Re: Basic query on application development

    kracks writes:

    > Hi,
    > I am pretty new to Linux.
    > I am working with ARM9 (s3c2440 )CPU
    > I ported Linux to target device.
    > Now i want to develop a small Application in Linux.
    > I am not sure how to start with.
    > First i think i hv to make a simple C (file) application (Eg ."hello
    > world")
    > Then i have to create MakeFile.
    >
    > How to link with Kernel and how to make my application to run after
    > Where to start my application and how to compile my application with
    > OS.

    You ported Linux to a device of some sort, and now you're asking for
    help to write a hello world app? Something doesn't quite add up.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mans@mansr.com

  5. Re: Basic query on application development

    On Jun 28, 11:40 pm, Måns Rullgård wrote:
    > kracks writes:
    > > Hi,
    > > I am pretty new to Linux.
    > > I am working with ARM9 (s3c2440 )CPU
    > > I ported Linux to target device.
    > > Now i want to develop a smallApplicationin Linux.
    > > I am not sure how to start with.
    > > First i think i hv to make a simple C (file)application(Eg ."hello
    > > world")
    > > Then i have to create MakeFile.

    > > How to link with Kernel and how to make myapplicationto run after
    > > Where to start myapplicationand how to compile myapplicationwith
    > > OS.

    > You ported Linux to a device of some sort, and now you're asking for
    > help to write a hello world app? Something doesn't quite add up.
    >
    > --
    > Måns Rullgård
    > m...@mansr.com

    Hi Mans Rullgard,
    The Linux code is given by my vendor itself.
    I just compiled and loaded to target device.
    I didn't write any snippets in Linux yet.
    I started writing application development in Linux.
    I don't know where to place folder in my BSP which is having my
    application code and to link with Kernel and Ramdisk.

    Regards,
    Kirthika

  6. Re: Basic query on application development

    kracks writes:
    > The Linux code is given by my vendor itself. I just compiled and loaded
    > to target device. I didn't write any snippets in Linux yet. I started
    > writing application development in Linux. I don't know where to place
    > folder in my BSP which is having my application code and to link with
    > Kernel and Ramdisk.

    I strongly suggest that you bring in a consultant. You appear to lack very
    basic knowledge.
    --
    John Hasler
    john@dhh.gt.org