Commercial tools for Linux developers - Linux

This is a discussion on Commercial tools for Linux developers - Linux ; Are there any tools that Linux developers would like us to create and sell? -- Dr Jon D Harrop, Flying Frog Consultancy OCaml for Scientists http://www.ffconsultancy.com/product...ntists/?usenet...

  1. Commercial tools for Linux developers

    Are there any tools that Linux developers would like us to create and sell?

    OCaml for Scientists
    http://www.ffconsultancy.com/product...ntists/?usenet

  2. Re: Commercial tools for Linux developers

    Jon Harrop writes:
    > Are there any tools that Linux developers would like us to create and
    > sell?

    I'd like a brake adjusting tool for my Ford 8N.
    --
    John Hasler
    john@dhh.gt.org

  3. Re: Commercial tools for Linux developers

    Jon Harrop wrote:

    > Are there any tools that Linux developers would like us to create and
    > sell?

    Yeah - something like Rekall, a database forms designer/compiler. A sort of
    Access clone, but without the database backend, something the authors
    wisely left to Postgresql, MySQL or anything else QT could talk to. Sadly
    the project seems to have died, though one web site is still up.

    It was pretty good, some annoyances and the sub-form handling needed some
    work.

    I'm sure there's a market for a good RAD DB-forms engine that doesn't suck
    and is modestly priced. I'd buy it for 150-100 dollars if it was good just
    to save some time.

    Stick a some other back end engines on (eg Web CGI/PHP/mod-perl or whatever)
    and call that "enterprise".

    There, it's an idea and I think there's a niche market, possibly a good
    market if it is solid.

    Cheers

    Tim

  4. Re: Commercial tools for Linux developers

    Tim S wrote:
    > I'm sure there's a market for a good RAD DB-forms engine that doesn't suck
    > and is modestly priced. I'd buy it for 150-100 dollars if it was good just
    > to save some time.

    This is a really fantastic idea. Thanks! :-)

    The OCaml Journal
    http://www.ffconsultancy.com/product...ournal/?usenet

+ Reply to Thread