suppressing interrupted system call error on console - Linux

This is a discussion on suppressing interrupted system call error on console - Linux ; Hi, I am running a client server application on user-mode linux machines. Also my application has a timer block that uses the system call SIGALARM for timerout routines. I am using a blocking recvfrom system call in my receiver and ...

  1. suppressing interrupted system call error on console

    Hi,

    I am running a client server application on user-mode linux machines.
    Also my application has a timer block that uses the system call
    SIGALARM for timerout routines.

    I am using a blocking recvfrom system call in my receiver and whenever
    the timer pops up, the SIGALARM signal generated to intimate timeout is
    resulting in an interruption of the blocking recvfrom system call. This
    interruption of recvfrom call throws an ugly error message on the
    console saying "ERROR:interrupted system call".

    I found a few postings on the web regarding the same problem and going
    by my experience on this issue and also the views of people who have
    posted their problems on the web, i read that this interruption of
    recvfrom is not a serious issue and if the receiver is continuously
    polling for incoming messages, then it will receive the data during the
    next call.

    I am trying to suppress this error that is being put up on the console.
    Would appreciate if anybody could provide me some information on
    suppressing the errors that get popped out from the system calls.

    Thanks,
    Wizard

  2. Re: suppressing interrupted system call error on console

    On 1月24日, 下午7时38分, "Wizard" wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am running a client server application on user-mode linux machines.
    > Also my application has a timer block that uses the system call
    > SIGALARM for timerout routines.
    >
    > I am using a blocking recvfrom system call in my receiver and whenever
    > the timer pops up, the SIGALARM signal generated to intimate timeout is
    > resulting in an interruption of the blocking recvfrom system call. This
    > interruption of recvfrom call throws an ugly error message on the
    > console saying "ERROR:interrupted system call".

    Are you sure that you don't call the perror function?

    > I found a few postings on the web regarding the same problem and going
    > by my experience on this issue and also the views of people who have
    > posted their problems on the web, i read that this interruption of
    > recvfrom is not a serious issue and if the receiver is continuously
    > polling for incoming messages, then it will receive the data during the
    > next call.
    >
    > I am trying to suppress this error that is being put up on the console.
    > Would appreciate if anybody could provide me some information on
    > suppressing the errors that get popped out from the system calls.
    >

    > Thanks,
    > Wizard

  3. Re: suppressing interrupted system call error on console

    In article <1169638734.709277.223020@m58g2000cwm.googlegroups. com>,
    Wizard wrote:

    >This interruption of recvfrom call throws an ugly error message
    >on the console saying "ERROR:interrupted system call".

    Then stop printing it.

  4. Re: suppressing interrupted system call error on console

    On 2007-01-24, Wizard wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am running a client server application on user-mode linux machines.
    > Also my application has a timer block that uses the system call
    > SIGALARM for timerout routines.
    >
    > I am using a blocking recvfrom system call in my receiver and whenever
    > the timer pops up, the SIGALARM signal generated to intimate timeout is
    > resulting in an interruption of the blocking recvfrom system call. This
    > interruption of recvfrom call throws an ugly error message on the
    > console saying "ERROR:interrupted system call".

    use select for your delays instead of alarm, then can know that recvfrom
    will not block.

    --

    Bye.
    Jasen