How to monitor the disk load? - Linux

This is a discussion on How to monitor the disk load? - Linux ; Hi All, I am doing a study project in which I want to monitor the disk IO load. The output should show me the number of reads, writes performed, size of the disk and how much it is free etc. ...

  1. How to monitor the disk load?

    Hi All,

    I am doing a study project in which I want to monitor the disk IO load.
    The output should show me the number of reads, writes performed, size
    of the disk and how much it is free etc.

    At present I am clue less please provide some clues. Please give me
    some ideas of how to do it.
    Please help.........

    Thanks and Regards,
    Prasad.

  2. Re: How to monitor the disk load?

    "Prasad д
    "
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I am doing a study project in which I want to monitor the disk IO load.
    > The output should show me the number of reads, writes performed, size
    > of the disk and how much it is free etc.

    > At present I am clue less please provide some clues. Please give me
    > some ideas of how to do it.
    > Please help.........

    i hope vmstat or iostat would help.
    > Thanks and Regards,
    > Prasad.

  3. Re: How to monitor the disk load?

    "Prasad" writes:

    > Hi All,
    >
    > I am doing a study project in which I want to monitor the disk IO load.
    > The output should show me the number of reads, writes performed, size
    > of the disk and how much it is free etc.
    >
    > At present I am clue less please provide some clues. Please give me
    > some ideas of how to do it.
    > Please help.........

    As mentionned, you can use iostat or the newer dstat.
    Or you can access directly to the raw data in /proc/diskstats

    READ THIS BEFORE OPENING PACKAGE: According to certain suggested
    versions of the Grand Unified Theory, the primary particles
    constituting this product may decay to nothingness within the next
    four hundred million years.

  4. Re: How to monitor the disk load?

    On 2007-01-22, Prasad wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I am doing a study project in which I want to monitor the disk IO load.
    > The output should show me the number of reads, writes performed, size
    > of the disk and how much it is free etc.
    >
    > At present I am clue less please provide some clues. Please give me
    > some ideas of how to do it.
    > Please help.........

    add or enable debugging output in the filesystem driver.

    --

    Bye.
    Jasen

+ Reply to Thread