Unzip and rezip on Linex web server ? - Linux

This is a discussion on Unzip and rezip on Linex web server ? - Linux ; Is this possible We have a dedicated web server running a Linux OS. We need to create a 'bulk data' file during a client registration process. The 'bulk data' file is currently created manually as follows : Run a series ...

  1. Unzip and rezip on Linex web server ?

    Is this possible

    We have a dedicated web server running a Linux OS.

    We need to create a 'bulk data' file during a client registration process.

    The 'bulk data' file is currently created manually as follows :

    Run a series of self extracting zip files ( from 2 to 30 dirrerent files ),
    delete certain unwanted files, and create a self extracting zip file.

    This new zip file needs to be e-mailed to the registered client.

    Questions :

    Can this process be done on a Linux OS ?

    Can the process be 'fired up' from a php page ?

    What type of IT person should I be looking to write the code / program for
    us ?

    Thanks in advance for any replies

    Regards
    Dave

  2. Re: Unzip and rezip on Linex web server ?

    DaveO wrote:
    > Is this possible
    > We have a dedicated web server running a Linux OS.
    > We need to create a 'bulk data' file during a client registration process.
    > The 'bulk data' file is currently created manually as follows :
    > Run a series of self extracting zip files ( from 2 to 30 dirrerent files ),
    > delete certain unwanted files, and create a self extracting zip file.
    > This new zip file needs to be e-mailed to the registered client.

    > Questions :
    > Can this process be done on a Linux OS ?
    > Can the process be 'fired up' from a php page ?

    First of all, there's nothing here that you can't do with a "Linux OS".
    But there's nothing like a "PHP page", typically a PHP script gets
    executed as a "reaction" of the web server to a certain request (if
    the web server is set up to be able to invoke e.g. CGI scripts). From
    within a PHP script you can definitely unzip a file, remove some of
    the unpacked files and re-zip it and then send the result via email
    (or you can spawn a new process that does that, looks like that this
    is even possible under Windows). And you don't need to use PHP, you
    could also use e.g. Perl, C or whatever language you fancy most.
    Things, of course, get more complicated if there's no MTA on the
    machine and you're not allowed to install one and have to write it
    yourself;-)

    > What type of IT person should I be looking to write the code / program for
    > us ?

    Probably most people with a bit of experience on CGI scripts will do
    (plus maybe knowledge of how to construct an email with an attachment
    - you probably are going to want to attach the ZIP file to an email).
    How difficult it gets depends a lot on what is installed on the
    machine and what one is allowed to use and maybe other circimstances.

    Regards, Jens

  3. Re: Unzip and rezip on Linex web server ?

    On 2007-01-19, DaveO wrote:
    > Is this possible
    >
    > We have a dedicated web server running a Linux OS.
    >
    > We need to create a 'bulk data' file during a client registration process.
    >
    > The 'bulk data' file is currently created manually as follows :
    >
    > Run a series of self extracting zip files ( from 2 to 30 dirrerent files ),
    > delete certain unwanted files, and create a self extracting zip file.
    >
    > This new zip file needs to be e-mailed to the registered client.
    >
    > Questions :
    >
    > Can this process be done on a Linux OS ?

    Yes. Self-extract is merely a header, "capture" one self-extract and use linux
    zip to add/delete files from it.

    > Can the process be 'fired up' from a php page ?

    As long as the owner of the process can read/write the apropriate files.

    > What type of IT person should I be looking to write the code / program for
    > us ?

    Someone who knows php and some shell.

    have you considewred using NSIS instead of self-extract zip ?

    --

    Bye.
    Jasen

+ Reply to Thread