strange video corruption - Linux

This is a discussion on strange video corruption - Linux ; My favorite text editor, nedit, has developed a problem with scrolling. If I scroll up by holding the up arrow, the window get corrupted with a single line repeated throughout the window. Ditto for using the scrollbar. The problem is ...

  1. strange video corruption

    My favorite text editor, nedit, has developed a problem with scrolling. If I
    scroll up by holding the up arrow, the window get corrupted with a single line
    repeated throughout the window. Ditto for using the scrollbar. The problem is
    only with going "up". Down arrow or dragging the scrollbar down work fine.

    I'm posting my problem in a.o.l.gentoo because I think it might be a gentoo
    issue. I've rebuilt nedit -- didn't help. I've rebuilt the library it uses for
    I/O, openmotif, and that didn't help either. I've tried going back two versions
    on both nedit and openmotif with no success.

    Nedit is supposed to work with lesstif, but errors out if I switch to lesstif via
    motif-config:
    Error of failed request: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
    Major opcode of failed request: 70 (X_PolyFillRectangle)
    Serial number of failed request: 299

    Perhaps it's time to move on and switch to kate but I liked nedit's interface
    and simplicity. No other apps with scrolling windows have developed any problems.

    Tried nedit 5.3, 5.4, and 5.5, prebuilt binaries, source code, and gentoo's 5.5 ebuild
    openmotif: tried: openmotif-2.1.30-r14, openmotif-2.2.3-r9
    I'm running AMD64 gentoo with linux-2.6.19-gentoo-r3, xorg-x11-7.1
    gcc-4.1.1-r1, glibc-2.4-r4

    I don't know exactly when the problem started or what I did to break nedit. What
    it when I recently went from linux-2.6.18 to linux-2.6.19? Before that I was
    working on transcode/libdvdcss, before that cups and linux native printing
    support. Before that was a *massive* entire system recompile to switch to gcc
    4.1.1. I'm pretty sure I used nedit after the system recompile without any
    problems.

  2. Re: strange video corruption

    AZ Nomad wrote:
    > My favorite text editor, nedit, has developed a problem with scrolling. If I
    > scroll up by holding the up arrow, the window get corrupted with a single line
    > repeated throughout the window. Ditto for using the scrollbar. The problem is
    > only with going "up". Down arrow or dragging the scrollbar down work fine.

    Have you tried revdep-rebuild, the problem don't have to be on the first level
    of dependency, it could be a second level dependency that causes the problem.

    --

    //Aho

  3. Re: strange video corruption

    On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 18:43:46 +0100, J.O. Aho wrote:

    >AZ Nomad wrote:
    >> My favorite text editor, nedit, has developed a problem with scrolling. If I
    >> scroll up by holding the up arrow, the window get corrupted with a single line
    >> repeated throughout the window. Ditto for using the scrollbar. The problem is
    >> only with going "up". Down arrow or dragging the scrollbar down work fine.

    >Have you tried revdep-rebuild, the problem don't have to be on the first level
    >of dependency, it could be a second level dependency that causes the problem.

    I had done revdep-rebuilds by the truckload immediately after upgrading to
    gcc-4.1.1, but not recently. I tried it just now and was amused that lesstif
    came up. Rebuilt it and it didn't help. :-p

    I came across mention of using XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1 in a nedit discussion
    forum from somebody having a different kind of scrolling corruption and tried
    it and it fixed my problem! I can now scroll without any corruption.

    Next question: wft was going on? I guess my next step is going to stick
    it in my .bashrc (assuming only nedit would be looking at it).

  4. Re: strange video corruption

    AZ Nomad wrote:
    > On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 18:43:46 +0100, J.O. Aho wrote:
    >

    >> AZ Nomad wrote:
    >>> My favorite text editor, nedit, has developed a problem with scrolling. If I
    >>> scroll up by holding the up arrow, the window get corrupted with a single line
    >>> repeated throughout the window. Ditto for using the scrollbar. The problem is
    >>> only with going "up". Down arrow or dragging the scrollbar down work fine.

    >> Have you tried revdep-rebuild, the problem don't have to be on the first level
    >> of dependency, it could be a second level dependency that causes the problem.

    > I had done revdep-rebuilds by the truckload immediately after upgrading to
    > gcc-4.1.1, but not recently. I tried it just now and was amused that lesstif
    > came up. Rebuilt it and it didn't help. :-p

    Sometimes it can go quite hastily that a dependency breaks (sadly portage
    don't tell you automatically when a dependency breaks), specially if you have
    a lot of stuff in your /var/lib/portage/world or you use the --deep option hen
    emerging.

    > Next question: wft was going on?

    A library has changed a bit, some of the x11-libs/libX* libs most likely.

    > I guess my next step is going to stick
    > it in my .bashrc (assuming only nedit would be looking at it).

    You can always make a start script

    --- example ---
    export XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1
    nedit $*
    --- eof ---

    and then see to it will be used instead of nedit.
    --

    //Aho

  5. Re: strange video corruption

    On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 20:38:56 GMT
    AZ Nomad wrote:

    > I came across mention of using XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1 in a nedit
    > discussion forum from somebody having a different kind of scrolling
    > corruption and tried it and it fixed my problem! I can now scroll
    > without any corruption.
    >
    > Next question: wft was going on? I guess my next step is going to stick
    > it in my .bashrc (assuming only nedit would be looking at it).

    I found a discussion about it here:

    http://www.nedit.org/pipermail/discu...er/008877.html

    The problem is unique to X.org and does not happen under XFree, but most
    people do use the X.org server these days. It seems that the CVS version
    of nedit has been fixed (as of Nov. 2006). Maybe they should put out
    a new release.

    Mike Shell

+ Reply to Thread