Without an admin account, will I be able to setup MPI on several Linux machines? - Linux

This is a discussion on Without an admin account, will I be able to setup MPI on several Linux machines? - Linux ; Hi all, Here I've found a few linux machines that are connected to the Intenert. But they don't have MPI installed. I don't have admin account. Will I be able to install the MPI and utilize the parallelization? Thanks...

  1. Without an admin account, will I be able to setup MPI on several Linux machines?

    Hi all,

    Here I've found a few linux machines that are connected to the Intenert. But
    they don't have MPI installed. I don't have admin account. Will I be able to
    install the MPI and utilize the parallelization?

    Thanks

  2. Re: Without an admin account, will I be able to setup MPI on severalLinux machines?

    Mike wrote:
    > Here I've found a few linux machines that are connected to the Intenert. But
    > they don't have MPI installed. I don't have admin account. Will I be able to
    > install the MPI and utilize the parallelization?

    If you need root access to a Linux machine for testing, just go download a
    Live CD from somewhere. You can boot off the CD on any PC without having
    to modify (or even access) what's on the hard drive.

    - Logan

  3. Re: Without an admin account, will I be able to setup MPI on several Linux machines?

    "Mike" writes:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > Here I've found a few linux machines that are connected to the Intenert. But
    > they don't have MPI installed. I don't have admin account. Will I be able to
    > install the MPI and utilize the parallelization?

    Yes. You'll have to get the source, compile, and install to your own
    directory (unless there's something clever in .rpm or .deb that I've
    missed up to now).

  4. Re: Without an admin account, will I be able to setup MPI on several Linux machines?

    "Logan Shaw" wrote in message
    > Mike wrote:
    >> Here I've found a few linux machines that are connected to the Intenert.
    >> But they don't have MPI installed. I don't have admin account. Will I be
    >> able to install the MPI and utilize the parallelization?

    > If you need root access to a Linux machine for testing, just go download a
    > Live CD from somewhere. You can boot off the CD on any PC without having
    > to modify (or even access) what's on the hard drive.
    >
    > - Logan

    No, I am not talking about testing. I found a few Linux boxes, I really want
    to run parallel program on them.

    But I am not admin, and there is no MPI on them.

  5. Re: Without an admin account, will I be able to setup MPI on several Linux machines?

    "Joe Pfeiffer" wrote in message
    > "Mike" writes:
    >
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> Here I've found a few linux machines that are connected to the Intenert.
    >> But
    >> they don't have MPI installed. I don't have admin account. Will I be able
    >> install the MPI and utilize the parallelization?

    > Yes. You'll have to get the source, compile, and install to your own
    > directory (unless there's something clever in .rpm or .deb that I've
    > missed up to now).

    It's Ubuntoo Linux, are there any good distribution available? I am not very
    good in Linux. If the rebuilding fails, I will be stuck.

    Do I need to install MPI on all of the Linux machines?

    My account/storage is a network account, so every Linux I log on (my
    school's Linux machine) already sees my account/storage. I guess I don't
    need to install on all Linux machines, as long as I install it into my own
    network account/directory... am I right?

    Will I be able to run parallel program even if I don't have admin root?

    Thanks

  6. Re: Without an admin account, will I be able to setup MPI on several Linux machines?

    Hi Mike,

    >> Here I've found a few linux machines that are connected to the Intenert.
    >> But they don't have MPI installed. I don't have admin account. Will I be
    >> able to install the MPI and utilize the parallelization?

    as already answered: yes

    > My account/storage is a network account, so every Linux I log on (my
    > school's Linux machine) already sees my account/storage. I guess I don't
    > need to install on all Linux machines, as long as I install it into my
    > own network account/directory... am I right?

    yes, this is correct and simplifies setup

    > Will I be able to run parallel program even if I don't have admin root?

    yes

    Look at http://www-user.tu-chemnitz.de/~chsi/lam_mpi_setup.txt for a
    short (but complete) guide to setup and use MPI.

    Christian

+ Reply to Thread