low cost parallel computing or supercomputers? - Linux

This is a discussion on low cost parallel computing or supercomputers? - Linux ; Hi all, Could anybody point me to some good supercomputer or high performance clusters with relatively low cost? I have wrote my first MPI program and it is a coarse level parallelization, and I have to run many copies of ...

  1. low cost parallel computing or supercomputers?

    Hi all,

    Could anybody point me to some good supercomputer or high performance
    clusters with relatively low cost? I have wrote my first MPI program and it
    is a coarse level parallelization, and I have to run many copies of it in
    order to get back results in a few hours. Without using a large amount of
    processors, I had been waiting for ages... I don't have a sponsor so I am on
    my personal funding now and this is not for a commercial project... Thanks!

  2. Re: low cost parallel computing or supercomputers?

    Hi,

    Maybe if your project or calculations are for scientific purposes, you
    can join a networking grid.

    Read about BOINC, for instance or any other kind of "volunteering"
    computing.

    http://boinc.berkeley.edu/

    Grid is suitable for data parallelism, instead of paralellizing your
    algorithms, you launch many copies of your program which work into a
    different subset of data; and the underlying infraestructura deals with
    launching the programs in the most suitable computer, relaunching if
    there is some trouble, etc.

    Regards!
    Manuel.

    Mike ha escrito:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > Could anybody point me to some good supercomputer or high performance
    > clusters with relatively low cost? I have wrote my first MPI program and it
    > is a coarse level parallelization, and I have to run many copies of it in
    > order to get back results in a few hours. Without using a large amount of
    > processors, I had been waiting for ages... I don't have a sponsor so I am on
    > my personal funding now and this is not for a commercial project... Thanks!

  3. Re: low cost parallel computing or supercomputers?

    "manolinux" wrote in message
    news:1168282849.498897.156400@v33g2000cwv.googlegr oups.com...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Maybe if your project or calculations are for scientific purposes, you
    > can join a networking grid.
    >
    > Read about BOINC, for instance or any other kind of "volunteering"
    > computing.
    >
    > http://boinc.berkeley.edu/
    >
    > Grid is suitable for data parallelism, instead of paralellizing your
    > algorithms, you launch many copies of your program which work into a
    > different subset of data; and the underlying infraestructura deals with
    > launching the programs in the most suitable computer, relaunching if
    > there is some trouble, etc.
    >
    > Regards!
    > Manuel.

    I read it. It's very cool. But I didnot find how to run my own big project
    on it. Do you know? thankx

  4. Re: low cost parallel computing or supercomputers?

    manolinux wrote:

    > Grid is suitable for data parallelism, instead of paralellizing your
    > algorithms, you launch many copies of your program which work into a
    > different subset of data [...]

    Isn't this essentially paralellizing the algorithm?

    I don't have much formal learning about parallel algorithms, but all
    the instances I've seen rely precisely on splitting the data into
    many chunks, launching one process on each CPU to deal with each
    chunk, and then merge the results (an example of this is 3D CGI
    rendering --- different sections of the image are completely
    unrelated, and so they can be computed concurrently/simultaneously).

    What am I missing?

    Saludos,

    Carlos
    --

  5. Re: low cost parallel computing or supercomputers?

    Read this:
    http://boinc.berkeley.edu/create_project.php
    http://boinc.berkeley.edu/api.php

    You have to do two main tasks:
    * To settle a server which splits the works on clients
    * Re-touch a little bit your apps programs, following an API, but think
    less complicated to learn than MPI, and more suitable for data
    parallelism (instead of algorithms).

    And third, convince people to download your client program and start
    donating CPU cycles for you

    Anyway, you can always mount this in intranet instead of through
    internet ...

    Much success !

    Mike ha escrito:

    > "manolinux" wrote in message
    > news:1168282849.498897.156400@v33g2000cwv.googlegr oups.com...
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Maybe if your project or calculations are for scientific purposes, you
    > > can join a networking grid.
    > >
    > > Read about BOINC, for instance or any other kind of "volunteering"
    > > computing.
    > >
    > > http://boinc.berkeley.edu/
    > >
    > > Grid is suitable for data parallelism, instead of paralellizing your
    > > algorithms, you launch many copies of your program which work into a
    > > different subset of data; and the underlying infraestructura deals with
    > > launching the programs in the most suitable computer, relaunching if
    > > there is some trouble, etc.
    > >
    > > Regards!
    > > Manuel.
    > >

    > I read it. It's very cool. But I didnot find how to run my own big project
    > on it. Do you know? thankx

  6. Re: low cost parallel computing or supercomputers?

    Well, yes you're right.

    But ok, think the person asking (or it is my interpretation) needs to
    perform the same sequential operation on many independent sets of data
    .... so thats what i call "paralellism on data" ... instead of message
    passing programming by MPI.

    Its a discussion on which should be properly paralellized, the
    algorithm, the data, or both? There are solutions for one extreme, the
    other, or hybrid.

    I only talked about BOINC because of my interpretation of the user
    needs ... I mean, i perform some programming in MPI, but sometimes find
    difficult to paralelize algorithms because they are inherently
    sequential, and the solution to performance is something like grid.

    But anyway ... your quote is right.
    Regards !

    Carlos Moreno ha escrito:

    > manolinux wrote:
    >
    > > Grid is suitable for data parallelism, instead of paralellizing your
    > > algorithms, you launch many copies of your program which work into a
    > > different subset of data [...]

    > Isn't this essentially paralellizing the algorithm?
    >
    > I don't have much formal learning about parallel algorithms, but all
    > the instances I've seen rely precisely on splitting the data into
    > many chunks, launching one process on each CPU to deal with each
    > chunk, and then merge the results (an example of this is 3D CGI
    > rendering --- different sections of the image are completely
    > unrelated, and so they can be computed concurrently/simultaneously).
    >
    > What am I missing?
    >
    > Saludos,
    >
    > Carlos
    > --