Measuring the sound level in a hobby room when drilling. - Linux

This is a discussion on Measuring the sound level in a hobby room when drilling. - Linux ; Hi.. I want to measure the soundlevel in my hobby room when i am drilling or sawing. With a microphone connected to the soundcard. I want to write a small prog to read the peak volume of the microphone for ...

  1. Measuring the sound level in a hobby room when drilling.

    Hi..

    I want to measure the soundlevel in my hobby room when i am drilling or
    sawing.
    With a microphone connected to the soundcard.

    I want to write a small prog to read the peak volume of the microphone for
    fedora core 5.

    How can you find the peak volume in a signal from the microphone ?

    --
    hihihi
    wanadoo

  2. Re: Measuring the sound level in a hobby room when drilling.

    hihihi wrote:
    > Hi..
    >
    > I want to measure the soundlevel in my hobby room when i am drilling or
    > sawing.
    > With a microphone connected to the soundcard.

    Do you just want the relative level, or are you attempting to create a
    software decibel meter? The former is trivial, and the latter is almost
    impossible.

    > I want to write a small prog to read the peak volume of the microphone for
    > fedora core 5.
    >
    > How can you find the peak volume in a signal from the microphone ?

    Start by following any example to record from the microphone. If you set
    up your sound device to read 16 bit PCM samples then you just look at a
    buffer and look for the peaks of the absolute values of the samples.

    --
    Phil Frisbie, Jr.
    Hawk Software

  3. Re: Measuring the sound level in a hobby room when drilling.

    On a sunny day (Thu, 04 Jan 2007 22:13:38 +0100) it happened hihihi
    wrote in <459d6e02$0$55282$dbd45001@news.wanadoo.nl>:

    >Hi..
    >
    >I want to measure the soundlevel in my hobby room when i am drilling or
    >sawing.
    >With a microphone connected to the soundcard.
    >
    >I want to write a small prog to read the peak volume of the microphone for
    >fedora core 5.
    >
    >How can you find the peak volume in a signal from the microphone ?

    Have a look at the xpvox source I wrote, login user 'guest' password 'none':
    http://panteltje.com/panteltje/cb/

  4. Re: Measuring the sound level in a hobby room when drilling.

    Phil Frisbie, Jr. wrote:

    > hihihi wrote:
    >> Hi..
    >>
    >> I want to measure the soundlevel in my hobby room when i am drilling or
    >> sawing.
    >> With a microphone connected to the soundcard.

    > Do you just want the relative level, or are you attempting to create a
    > software decibel meter? The former is trivial, and the latter is almost
    > impossible.

    Relative levels.

    >> I want to write a small prog to read the peak volume of the microphone
    >> for fedora core 5.
    >>
    >> How can you find the peak volume in a signal from the microphone ?

    > Start by following any example to record from the microphone. If you set
    > up your sound device to read 16 bit PCM samples then you just look at a
    > buffer and look for the peaks of the absolute values of the samples.

    Ok.

    --
    hihihi
    wanadoo

  5. Re: Measuring the sound level in a hobby room when drilling.

    Jan Panteltje wrote:

    >>How can you find the peak volume in a signal from the microphone ?

    > Have a look at the xpvox source I wrote, login user 'guest' password
    > 'none': http://panteltje.com/panteltje/cb/

    Thanks..

    --
    hihihi