Building enterprise websites with apache - Linux

This is a discussion on Building enterprise websites with apache - Linux ; Hi, I am looking for a complete solution book that describes building websites using apache/linux applications. There are many asp.net books that cover building fully-featured dynamic websites. Is there any equivalent using Apache/Linux? For example, description of how to achieve ...

  1. Building enterprise websites with apache

    Hi,

    I am looking for a complete solution book that describes building
    websites using apache/linux applications.

    There are many asp.net books that cover building fully-featured dynamic
    websites. Is there any equivalent using Apache/Linux? For example,
    description of how to achieve custom authentication, secure
    communication, serving content based on users, templates, implementing
    sessions properly, security, encrypted query strings etc. etc.

    There are guides, documentation, and articles, but all are sparsely
    organised. Any well organised documentation?

    Many thanks,
    Bahadir

  2. Re: Building enterprise websites with apache

    Bilgehan.Balban@gmail.com writes:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am looking for a complete solution book that describes building
    > websites using apache/linux applications.
    >
    > There are many asp.net books that cover building fully-featured dynamic
    > websites. Is there any equivalent using Apache/Linux? For example,
    > description of how to achieve custom authentication, secure
    > communication, serving content based on users, templates, implementing
    > sessions properly, security, encrypted query strings etc. etc.
    >
    > There are guides, documentation, and articles, but all are sparsely
    > organised. Any well organised documentation?

    I'd go to www.oreilly.com and see what they've got.

  3. Re: Building enterprise websites with apache

    Bilgehan.Balban@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am looking for a complete solution book that describes building
    > websites using apache/linux applications.
    >
    > There are many asp.net books that cover building fully-featured dynamic
    > websites. Is there any equivalent using Apache/Linux? For example,
    > description of how to achieve custom authentication, secure
    > communication, serving content based on users, templates, implementing
    > sessions properly, security, encrypted query strings etc. etc.
    >
    > There are guides, documentation, and articles, but all are sparsely
    > organised. Any well organised documentation?

    In addition to any (of the many available) books that you may find
    on Apache or on LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP), I would recommend:

    Apache Security, by Ivan Ristic. (there's a web site for it:
    http://www.apachesecurity.net)

    Also, take a look at --- and seriously consider --- PostgreSQL as
    an alternative to MySQL --- yes, MySQL enjoys a big margin of
    popularity, but I believe that PostgreSQL enjoys an even bigger
    margin in terms of quality, robustness, maturity, etc. etc. etc.

    http://www.postgresql.org

    I'm sure that if you go to any of their sites, there should be
    good recommendations for books (http://www.apache.org probably
    has books recommendations for PHP, MySQL, and maybe more in
    general, for LAMP). Perhaps also in http://www.linux.org you
    could find some good recommendations.

    HTH,

    Carlos
    --

  4. Re: Building enterprise websites with apache

    On 2006-12-29, Bilgehan.Balban@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am looking for a complete solution book that describes building
    > websites using apache/linux applications.

    typically it's

    Linux + Apache + MySQL + PHP

    AKA "LAMP" , we do Postgresql instead of Mysql at work, but it's mostly the
    same.

    > There are many asp.net books that cover building fully-featured dynamic
    > websites. Is there any equivalent using Apache/Linux? For example,

    google for "LAMP" and "Website development"

    > description of how to achieve custom authentication, secure
    > communication, serving content based on users, templates, implementing
    > sessions properly, security, encrypted query strings etc. etc.

    > There are guides, documentation, and articles, but all are sparsely
    > organised. Any well organised documentation?

    O'Reilly publishing do good books, I think they do one on "LAMP"

    Bye.
    Jasen

  5. Re: Building enterprise websites with apache

    jasen wrote:

    > AKA "LAMP" , we do Postgresql instead of Mysql at work, but it's mostly the
    > same.

    I haev to so strongly disagree with this! In fact, I'm shocked that
    someone that uses PostgreSQL could even suggest that it's about the
    same --- PostgreSQL is a solid, enterprise-grade mature product;
    MySQL... well, I've seen it compared to Access... True that at this
    point in time, the comparison probable is unfair.

    Every major and absolutely necessary feature for enterprise-grade
    applications is either absent in MySQL, or is extremely new, non-mature
    and therefore recommended to stay away from it (and I'm talking about
    MySQL's own documentation for the latest version).

    These include:

    - Transactions (and no, manually locking rows doesn't even remotely
    look like an excuse for not having transactions)

    - Views (in a world where security is becoming the #1 issue,
    particularly with web applications, it's the most unforgivable
    thing, not having solid support for views)

    - Sub-queries (perhaps this one is now *relatively* mature?)

    And perhaps the biggest joke of all:

    - Referential integrity

    (I wonder if they decided to stop bragging about not having referential
    integrity, or if they will always stubbornly insist that they know
    better that the rest of the world and the entire scientific community
    that over the past several decades have agreed on what a *relational*
    database system should be)

    Carlos
    --

  6. Re: Building enterprise websites with apache

    On a sunny day (Sat, 30 Dec 2006 11:22:24 -0500) it happened Carlos Moreno
    wrote in
    :

    >jasen wrote:
    >
    >> AKA "LAMP" , we do Postgresql instead of Mysql at work, but it's mostly the
    >> same.

    >I haev to so strongly disagree with this! In fact, I'm shocked that
    >someone that uses PostgreSQL could even suggest that it's about the
    >same --- PostgreSQL is a solid, enterprise-grade mature product;

    I agree, I use only postgreSQL and never had a problem, it is rock solid,
    lots of support for it too.

  7. Re: Building enterprise websites with apache

    On 2006-12-30, Carlos Moreno wrote:
    > jasen wrote:
    >
    >> AKA "LAMP" , we do Postgresql instead of Mysql at work, but it's mostly the
    >> same.

    > I haev to so strongly disagree with this! In fact, I'm shocked that
    > someone that uses PostgreSQL could even suggest that it's about the
    > same --- PostgreSQL is a solid, enterprise-grade mature product;
    > MySQL... well, I've seen it compared to Access... True that at this
    > point in time, the comparison probable is unfair.

    Ok. I stand corrected, I've not been motivated to investigate, MySQL,
    but given its popularity figured it must have something going for it.
    (was it just first to release a windows installer?)

    I guess MySQL is going after those who would use access, while postgres is
    aimed at replacing oracle?

    It also explains some of the messy punbb code that does things that are
    easier to do with cascading deletes etc..

    Bye.
    Jasen

  8. Re: Building enterprise websites with apache

    jasen wrote:

    > Ok. I stand corrected, I've not been motivated to investigate, MySQL,
    > but given its popularity figured it must have something going for it.
    > (was it just first to release a windows installer?)

    I once asked in the PostgreSQL mailing list, and according to them,
    at the time the Internet was gaining popularity and database-enabled
    websites started to be a necessity, PostgreSQL simply was not ready
    for primetime --- I think mostly installation and ease-of-use issues.

    MySQL was, IMHO, also far from ready for primetime (it is *today*!!),
    but not in a noticeable way: it did only a small percentage of what
    a serious RDBMS should do, but presumably it would do it easily and
    smoothly; after it became the "de facto standard", then it is just
    a "vicious circle" kind of thing: one chooses MySQL because everybody
    else chooses it --- more people develop work around it (books,
    libraries, etc.), because it is the one that everyone uses; but
    everyone uses it precisely because there are many libraries, books,
    etc. available!

    > I guess MySQL is going after those who would use access

    This is probably a slight exaggeration --- after all, MySQL has
    always been a client/server DBMS, which already puts it ahead of
    Access. But it works as a figure of speech, to convey the idea
    that it is not much more than a toy (certainly another use of
    hyperbole --- but you get the idea)

    > while postgres is
    > aimed at replacing oracle?

    This part is probably quite accurate.

    Carlos
    --

  9. Re: Building enterprise websites with apache

    On 2006-12-31, Carlos Moreno wrote:
    > jasen wrote:
    >
    >> Ok. I stand corrected, I've not been motivated to investigate, MySQL,
    >> but given its popularity figured it must have something going for it.
    >> (was it just first to release a windows installer?)

    > I once asked in the PostgreSQL mailing list, and according to them,
    > at the time the Internet was gaining popularity and database-enabled
    > websites started to be a necessity, PostgreSQL simply was not ready
    > for primetime --- I think mostly installation and ease-of-use issues.

    Back in 1992, postgres was shiny and new, "hypertext" was a something
    new and us undergrads were learning SQL on ingres (its predecessor).
    I was running SLS at home on my 386.

    >> I guess MySQL is going after those who would use access

    > This is probably a slight exaggeration --- after all, MySQL has
    > always been a client/server DBMS, which already puts it ahead of
    > Access. But it works as a figure of speech, to convey the idea
    > that it is not much more than a toy (certainly another use of
    > hyperbole --- but you get the idea)

    I wonder where "MS SQL sever" fits in al this...

    >> while postgres is
    >> aimed at replacing oracle?

    > This part is probably quite accurate.

    If you go to the postgresql website you'll see they offer an oracle
    migration solution for a fee.

    --

    Bye.
    Jasen

  10. Re: Building enterprise websites with apache

    On a sunny day (31 Dec 2006 21:31:38 GMT) it happened jasen
    wrote in :

    >Back in 1992, postgres was shiny and new, "hypertext" was a something
    >new and us undergrads were learning SQL on ingres (its predecessor).
    >I was running SLS at home on my 386.

    Same here, I still have the SLS disks in the drawer.
    And I used ingres yes.
    grml: ~ # mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/fd0
    mount: block device /dev/fd0 is write-protected, mounting read-only
    grml: ~ # cd /mnt/fd0
    grml: /mnt/fd0 # ls -rtl
    total 330
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 32 1992-09-23 05:27 mnt/
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 32 1993-03-10 07:47 proc/
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 32 1993-03-10 07:47 user/
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 2000 1993-07-01 12:17 dev/
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 608 1993-07-04 17:57 bin/
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 80 1993-08-01 19:32 lib/
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 326148 1993-08-03 12:12 zImage
    drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 64 1995-08-18 04:00 root/
    drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 592 1995-08-18 22:51 etc/
    drwxr-xr-t 2 root root 48 1995-08-18 22:54 tmp/

    1993-1995 :-)
    Used this as resque disk later.

  11. Re: Building enterprise websites with apache

    jasen wrote:

    > I wonder where "MS SQL sever" fits in al this...

    Well, you do remember the Slammer, eh? You know, that one time when
    the entire Internet was effectively brought down in less than 15
    minutes?

    Carlos