Anjuta : is it an ok begginner's IDE? - Linux

This is a discussion on Anjuta : is it an ok begginner's IDE? - Linux ; Looking for a beginner's IDE, Anjuta seems to work on my system (KDevelop did not); if Anjuta ok for starting out in C/C++ programming as far as an IDE goes? -- If you have walked all these days with closed ...

  1. Anjuta : is it an ok begginner's IDE?

    --
    If you have walked all these days with closed ears and
    mind asleep, wake up now! -- Gandalf

  2. Re: Anjuta : is it an ok begginner's IDE?

    Beowulf wrote:
    > Looking for a beginner's IDE, Anjuta seems to work on my system (KDevelop
    > did not); if Anjuta ok for starting out in C/C++ programming as far as an
    > IDE goes?

    I used it briefly, a few years ago, and it seemed ok. Not sure how well
    it would work for a beginner, or whether there have been improvements,
    but my gut feeling is that it should be *very good* for either a
    beginner or a more experienced programmer.

    HTH,

    Carlos
    --

  3. Re: Anjuta : is it an ok begginner's IDE?

    On Dec 27, 3:27 am, Beowulf wrote:
    > Looking for a beginner's IDE, Anjuta seems to work on my system (KDevelop
    > did not); if Anjuta ok for starting out in C/C++ programming as far as an
    > IDE goes?

    You can try Kdevelop too.

    > --
    > If you have walked all these days with closed ears and
    > mind asleep, wake up now! -- Gandalf

  4. Re: Anjuta : is it an ok begginner's IDE?

    On 2006-12-26, Beowulf wrote:
    > Looking for a beginner's IDE, Anjuta seems to work on my system (KDevelop
    > did not); if Anjuta ok for starting out in C/C++ programming as far as an
    > IDE goes?

    It's a bit flakey, never ever grab the toolbar and drag it out of the window.
    (there is a way to recover from the mess that causes without erasing the
    ..anjuta .gnome and .gnome2 directories but I forget which files it is you
    need to nuke)

    Some of the other controls are worse than useless too (eg detach a page and
    you can't paste to it), but atleast they cause no permanent damage.

    The serch is a bit odd too.

    I have not tested the build stuff. it seems to be targeted to auto tools,
    and mostly I use scons instead (as I can get i586mingw-msvcrt cross sompiling
    to work under scons after bodging pkg-config a little)

    That said the popups of function prototypes etc are handy, I use it regularly.

    some people use gedit for editing source.

    Bye.
    Jasen

  5. Re: Anjuta : is it an ok begginner's IDE?

    Beowulf wrote:
    > Looking for a beginner's IDE, Anjuta seems to work on my system (KDevelop
    > did not); if Anjuta ok for starting out in C/C++ programming as far as an
    > IDE goes?

    I prefer kdevelop on Anjuta. But I most of the time find myself working
    on the Emacs and terminal. I don't feel like using anything! What do you
    say?

  6. Re: Anjuta : is it an ok begginner's IDE?

    Carlos Moreno writes:

    > Beowulf wrote:
    >> Looking for a beginner's IDE, Anjuta seems to work on my system (KDevelop
    >> did not); if Anjuta ok for starting out in C/C++ programming as far as an
    >> IDE goes?

    > I used it briefly, a few years ago, and it seemed ok. Not sure how well
    > it would work for a beginner, or whether there have been improvements,
    > but my gut feeling is that it should be *very good* for either a
    > beginner or a more experienced programmer.

    Why dont you try it and then recommend it?

    I tried it recently and, as others have pointed out, its buggy. kdevelop
    is better.

  7. Re: Anjuta : is it an ok begginner's IDE?

    Himanshu Chauhan typed

    > Beowulf wrote:
    >> Looking for a beginner's IDE, Anjuta seems to work on my system
    >> (KDevelop did not); if Anjuta ok for starting out in C/C++
    >> programming as far as an IDE goes?
    >>

    > I prefer kdevelop on Anjuta. But I most of the time find myself
    > working on the Emacs and terminal. I don't feel like using anything!
    > What do you say?

    I'd say, that emacs is the best editor ever
    But KDevelop make some things a lot easier. I especially like its
    automake manager, which reliefs you of the annoying task to do the
    autotools stuff for yourself...

    (Rosa Luxemburg)

  8. Re: Anjuta : is it an ok begginner's IDE?

    Beowulf wrote:
    > Looking for a beginner's IDE, Anjuta seems to work on my system (KDevelop
    > did not); if Anjuta ok for starting out in C/C++ programming as far as an
    > IDE goes?

    I would strongly recommend starting with a good text editor. My choice
    is vim, but if you are new to *nix world, NEdit may be a better opion:
    http://www.nedit.org/

  9. Re: Anjuta : is it an ok begginner's IDE?

    Nemanja Trifunovic typed

    > Beowulf wrote:
    >> Looking for a beginner's IDE, Anjuta seems to work on my system
    >> (KDevelop did not); if Anjuta ok for starting out in C/C++
    >> programming as far as an IDE goes?

    > I would strongly recommend starting with a good text editor. My choice
    > is vim,

    I wonder now, how long it will take, until the first comes and says,
    that emacs is a lot better?

    (Rosa Luxemburg)

  10. Re: Anjuta : is it an ok begginner's IDE?

    Sebastian 'lunar' Wiesner wrote:
    > I wonder now, how long it will take, until the first comes and says,
    > that emacs is a lot better?

    I don't claim either is "better" - just that I personaly prefer vim.

  11. Re: Anjuta : is it an ok begginner's IDE?

    Sebastian 'lunar' Wiesner writes:

    > Nemanja Trifunovic typed
    >

    >> Beowulf wrote:
    >>> Looking for a beginner's IDE, Anjuta seems to work on my system
    >>> (KDevelop did not); if Anjuta ok for starting out in C/C++
    >>> programming as far as an IDE goes?

    >> I would strongly recommend starting with a good text editor. My choice
    >> is vim,

    > I wonder now, how long it will take, until the first comes and says,
    > that emacs is a lot better?

    Well, it is.

    And the gdb integration is better too :-;

  12. Re: Anjuta : is it an ok begginner's IDE?

    Sebastian 'lunar' Wiesner wrote:
    > Himanshu Chauhan typed
    >
    >> Beowulf wrote:
    >>> Looking for a beginner's IDE, Anjuta seems to work on my system
    >>> (KDevelop did not); if Anjuta ok for starting out in C/C++
    >>> programming as far as an IDE goes?
    >>>

    >> I prefer kdevelop on Anjuta. But I most of the time find myself
    >> working on the Emacs and terminal. I don't feel like using anything!
    >> What do you say?

    > I'd say, that emacs is the best editor ever
    > But KDevelop make some things a lot easier. I especially like its
    > automake manager, which reliefs you of the annoying task to do the
    > autotools stuff for yourself...

    True. I myself configure the project for the first time on kdevelop. Get
    my auto tool files from there. And then tweak them as the project adds
    on. But I never coded in kdevelop.

  13. Re: Anjuta : is it an ok begginner's IDE?

    Himanshu Chauhan typed

    > Sebastian 'lunar' Wiesner wrote:
    >> Himanshu Chauhan typed

    >>> I prefer kdevelop on Anjuta. But I most of the time find myself
    >>> working on the Emacs and terminal. I don't feel like using anything!
    >>> What do you say?

    >> I'd say, that emacs is the best editor ever
    >> But KDevelop make some things a lot easier. I especially like its
    >> automake manager, which reliefs you of the annoying task to do the
    >> autotools stuff for yourself...
    >>

    > True. I myself configure the project for the first time on kdevelop.
    > Get my auto tool files from there. And then tweak them as the project
    > adds on. But I never coded in kdevelop.

    So did I... Who needs kdevelop, when there is emacs available?

    (Rosa Luxemburg)

  14. Re: Anjuta : is it an ok begginner's IDE?

    Sebastian 'lunar' Wiesner wrote:
    > Himanshu Chauhan typed
    >
    >> Sebastian 'lunar' Wiesner wrote:
    >>> Himanshu Chauhan typed
    >>>

    >> True. I myself configure the project for the first time on kdevelop.
    >> Get my auto tool files from there. And then tweak them as the project
    >> adds on. But I never coded in kdevelop.

    > So did I... Who needs kdevelop, when there is emacs available?

    Yeah, at least in our case!! ;-)

  15. Re: Anjuta : is it an ok begginner's IDE?

    Hadron wrote:

    >>>Looking for a beginner's IDE, Anjuta seems to work on my system (KDevelop
    >>>did not); if Anjuta ok for starting out in C/C++ programming as far as an
    >>>IDE goes?

    >>I used it briefly, a few years ago, and it seemed ok. Not sure how well
    >>it would work for a beginner, or whether there have been improvements,
    >>but my gut feeling is that it should be *very good* for either a
    >>beginner or a more experienced programmer.

    > Why dont you try it and then recommend it?

    If we're going to be hostile first, ask questions later, then let
    me ask you: why don't you all *read* the OP and then reply???
    (hint: look at the *very first sentence* in the OP, quoted above)

    > I tried it recently and, as others have pointed out, its buggy. kdevelop
    > is better.

    At least the syntax completion part of Kdevelop is also quite buggy
    (it has been quite buggy/erratic to me). Though I wouldn't use
    that as an argument to "dis-recommend" KDevelop (I'm currently
    using it --- for regular C++ aps, not KDE/Qt apps; and am overall
    happy with it)

    Carlos
    --

  16. Re: Anjuta : is it an ok begginner's IDE?

    Carlos Moreno writes:

    >>>I used it briefly, a few years ago, and it seemed ok. Not sure how well
    >>>it would work for a beginner, or whether there have been improvements,
    >>>but my gut feeling is that it should be *very good* for either a
    >>>beginner or a more experienced programmer.

    >> Why dont you try it and then recommend it?

    > If we're going to be hostile first, ask questions later, then let
    > me ask you: why don't you all *read* the OP and then reply???
    > (hint: look at the *very first sentence* in the OP, quoted above)

    Hostile? I am merely pointing out that recommending something with no
    recent first hand experience is misleading to say the least.

    --

  17. Re: Anjuta : is it an ok begginner's IDE?

    Hadron typed

    > Carlos Moreno writes:

    >>> Why dont you try it and then recommend it?

    >> If we're going to be hostile first, ask questions later, then let
    >> me ask you: why don't you all *read* the OP and then reply???
    >> (hint: look at the *very first sentence* in the OP, quoted above)

    > Hostile? I am merely pointing out that recommending something with no
    > recent first hand experience is misleading to say the least.

    There was nothing missleading. In his very first sentence he clearly
    stated to have no recent experience with anjuta:

    > I used it briefly, a few years ago, and it seemed ok.

    So where's the problem?

    (Rosa Luxemburg)

  18. Re: Anjuta : is it an ok begginner's IDE?

    Carlos Moreno typed

    >>>I used it briefly, a few years ago, and it seemed ok. Not sure how
    >>>well it would work for a beginner, or whether there have been
    >>>improvements, but my gut feeling is that it should be *very good* for
    >>>either a beginner or a more experienced programmer.

    >> Why dont you try it and then recommend it?

    > If we're going to be hostile first, ask questions later, then let
    > me ask you: why don't you all *read* the OP and then reply???
    > (hint: look at the *very first sentence* in the OP, quoted above)
    >
    >> I tried it recently and, as others have pointed out, its buggy.
    >> kdevelop is better.

    > At least the syntax completion part of Kdevelop is also quite buggy
    > (it has been quite buggy/erratic to me).

    Really?! I'm having no trouble with the syntax completion thing. The
    only annoying thing is, that you have to enable syntax completion for
    every single KDE/QT project again, using the project options dialog.

    Debugging and version control with subversions are things, that
    currently don't really work in KDevelop.

    (Rosa Luxemburg)

  19. Re: Anjuta : is it an ok begginner's IDE?

    Sebastian 'lunar' Wiesner wrote:

    >>At least the syntax completion part of Kdevelop is also quite buggy
    >>(it has been quite buggy/erratic to me).

    > Really?! I'm having no trouble with the syntax completion thing.

    I'm having two main problems with it --- one, I admit that quite
    likely is due to my lack of familiarity with it; and it is the
    fact that if I start a project from an already existing set of
    files, then I get no syntax completion at all (in the Project
    Options dialog, the syntax completion *is enabled* --- but there
    is no syntax completion whatsoever).

    I always have to start a new project (a "Simple Hello World" app),
    then copy-and-paste from what is my original main program (that is,
    the module containin the main() function) into the Kdevelop-created
    main module, and then copy all the other files. Then I get my
    syntax completion (but only after closing KDevelop and opening it
    again --- that can be forgiven; after all, I'm all-of-a-sudden
    and out-of-the-blue inserting a bunch of new files behind its
    back; I have no problem with it wanting to have a chance to
    digest all that new information by requiring me to close it and
    open again).

    The other problem is rather harder to describe, since I have not
    identified a cause --- but for some of the modules, syntax
    completion simply has stopped working after a while (as in,
    *completely stopped* working; but only for that/those file(s)).

    I have no idea what the exact cause/trigger is, but it has
    happened to me with two of the projects I'm working on right
    now.

    Carlos
    --

  20. Re: Anjuta : is it an ok begginner's IDE?

    Carlos Moreno typed

    > Sebastian 'lunar' Wiesner wrote:
    >
    >>>At least the syntax completion part of Kdevelop is also quite buggy
    >>>(it has been quite buggy/erratic to me).

    >> Really?! I'm having no trouble with the syntax completion thing.

    > I'm having two main problems with it --- one, I admit that quite
    > likely is due to my lack of familiarity with it; and it is the
    > fact that if I start a project from an already existing set of
    > files, then I get no syntax completion at all (in the Project
    > Options dialog, the syntax completion *is enabled* --- but there
    > is no syntax completion whatsoever).

    I had the same problem, but my solution was different:
    In the options dialog (nenu Project -> Project Options) I chose "C++
    specific" in the sidebar and went to the Code Completion tab. There I
    simply added the source directory of the project as code completion
    database. I don't think it's a real bug, you just need to start the
    scan of your source directory manually...

    > The other problem is rather harder to describe, since I have not
    > identified a cause --- but for some of the modules, syntax
    > completion simply has stopped working after a while (as in,
    > *completely stopped* working; but only for that/those file(s)).

    Well, that sound's strange. I have never seen anything like this in
    KDevelop. But I did never used KDevelop extensively, just coded two
    little projects (plain KDE/QT, no 3rd party libraries), so I might be
    that my projects were much to simple for such bugs to occur...

    (Rosa Luxemburg)

+ Reply to Thread