GNU make: recursive make vs single makefile - Linux

This is a discussion on GNU make: recursive make vs single makefile - Linux ; Hi * I just gain an experience in work with make. I encounter some interesting article in the net - http://www.canb.auug.org.au/~millerp...cons-harm.html - about *nix tradition of using make in a recursive manner and disadvantages of this way. The essence of ...

  1. GNU make: recursive make vs single makefile

    Hi *

    I just gain an experience in work with make. I encounter some
    interesting article in the net -
    http://www.canb.auug.org.au/~millerp...cons-harm.html -
    about *nix tradition of using make in a recursive manner and
    disadvantages of this way. The essence of the article, that when using
    recursive make, one have to use some workarounds to build project that
    leads to such problems as "build too little" or "build too much". This
    happens because of incomplete dependency graph of project. So the
    author of the article suggests to use a single makefile for a whole
    project. I'm interested in are there anybody who is experienced in such

    a technics of using single makefile and who knows in practice about
    advantages and disadvantages of this two methods. What method is more
    reliable and easier maintainable applied to real world projects. And
    what about autotools and problems of recursive make? Does automake
    solve this problems?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: GNU make: recursive make vs single makefile

    Dmitry Chumack wrote:

    > a technics of using single makefile and who knows in practice about
    > advantages and disadvantages of this two methods. What method is more
    > reliable and easier maintainable applied to real world projects.

    The recursive makes, as the article says and you mention, can build too
    little. If it can not build something that must be build, then is not
    reliable.

    The basis of the article is that make is very good in doing his work when it
    has all information available. Recursive invocations of make are separate
    processes, and any of them has not all information about the whole task, so
    it can't do a work as good as it can the other way. Then the Makefile
    writers must use several ways to try to ensure that the build process is
    complete, losing the main advantage of using make and adding risk because
    make is very well tested for that job after many years of usage, and a hand
    made hack for each project rarely is.

    > And what about autotools and problems of recursive make? Does automake
    > solve this problems?

    No. The problem is solved just by not using recursive make invocations,
    using autotools or not. The automake manual says a few words about this
    topic, but not much, just about organizing directories and variables that
    can be useful.

    --
    Salu2

  3. Re: GNU make: recursive make vs single makefile

    Thanks for your sharing.

  4. Re: GNU make: recursive make vs single makefile

    Julián Albo wrote:

    > > And what about autotools and problems of recursive make? Does automake
    > > solve this problems?

    > No. The problem is solved just by not using recursive make invocations,
    > using autotools or not. The automake manual says a few words about this
    > topic, but not much, just about organizing directories and variables that
    > can be useful.

    I've used a single non-recursive automake and I won't be going back to
    recrusive. I blogged about it here:

    http://www.mega-nerd.com/erikd/Blog/...e_autmake.html

    Erik
    Erik de Castro Lopo
    Seen on comp.lang.python:
    Q : If someone has the code in python for a buffer overflow,
    please post it.
    A : Python does not support buffer overflows, sorry.

  5. Re: GNU make: recursive make vs single makefile

    Hi.

    Erik de Castro Lopo writes:

    > Julián Albo wrote:
    > >
    > > > And what about autotools and problems of recursive make? Does automake
    > > > solve this problems?

    > > No. The problem is solved just by not using recursive make invocations,
    > > using autotools or not. The automake manual says a few words about this
    > > topic, but not much, just about organizing directories and variables that
    > > can be useful.

    > I've used a single non-recursive automake and I won't be going back to
    > recrusive. I blogged about it here:
    >

    > Erik

    That should be

    --