New Seed7 Release 2006-12-04 - Linux

This is a discussion on New Seed7 Release 2006-12-04 - Linux ; Hello, I have released a new version of Seed7: seed7_05_20061204.tgz In the Seed7 programming language new statements and operators can be declared easily. Types are first class objects and therefore templates/generics need no special syntax. Object orientation is used when ...

  1. New Seed7 Release 2006-12-04

    Hello,

    I have released a new version of Seed7: seed7_05_20061204.tgz

    In the Seed7 programming language new statements and operators
    can be declared easily. Types are first class objects and therefore
    templates/generics need no special syntax. Object orientation is
    used when it brings advantages and not in places when other
    solutions are more obvious.

    Seed7 is covered by the GPL (and LGPL for the Seed7 runtime library).

    Changelog:
    - The functions bigLength, seek, bigTell were added to support files
    with 64 bit offsets.
    - The file functions getwd, getln, read and readln were changed to
    remove '\r' before '\n'.
    - Parameters of type bigInteger were changed to use call by reference.
    - The functions ord and conv for the bigInteger type were added.
    - The putf function (to copy a string to a file) was changed and a
    writef function was added.
    - Functions to split and join strings and a check for that functions
    were added.
    - Comparisons = and <> for arrays were added.
    - An implementation for 'set of string' based on the 'hash' type was
    added.
    - Keyboard functionality was moved into the new file kbd_rtl.c.
    - A new makefile makefile.msy for MinGW MSYS compilation was added.

    Greetings Thomas Mertes

    Project page: http://sourceforge.net/projects/seed7

  2. Re: New Seed7 Release 2006-12-04

    thomas.mertes@gmx.at wrote:

    > I have released a new version of Seed7: seed7_05_20061204.tgz

    Why are you mult-posting this? I have seen it elsewhere, and don't
    need to be annoyed by it again. You could have easily cross-posted
    and set up a suitable follow-up.

  3. Re: New Seed7 Release 2006-12-04

    On 12/05/2006 01:59 AM, thomas.mertes@gmx.at wrote:
    > I have released a new version of Seed7: seed7_05_20061204.tgz

    But why? What makes seed7 better over other existing scripting and, or
    programming languages?

    Anu's Linux@HOME Machines: #168573, 170593, 259192
    Chandigarh, UT, 160062, India Distros: Ubuntu, Fedora, Knoppix

  4. Re: New Seed7 Release 2006-12-04

    CBFalconer writes:

    > thomas.mertes@gmx.at wrote:
    >>
    >> I have released a new version of Seed7: seed7_05_20061204.tgz

    > Why are you mult-posting this? I have seen it elsewhere, and don't
    > need to be annoyed by it again. You could have easily cross-posted
    > and set up a suitable follow-up.

    Regardless of whether you are right or wrong, do you never tire of being
    a pompous net nanny? Do tell. Please.

  5. Re: New Seed7 Release 2006-12-04

    Balwinder S "bsd" Dheeman wrote:
    > On 12/05/2006 01:59 AM, thomas.mertes@gmx.at wrote:
    > > I have released a new version of Seed7: seed7_05_20061204.tgz

    > But why? What makes seed7 better over other existing scripting and, or
    > programming languages?

    To quote the corresponding FAQ at the Seed7 homepage
    (http://seed7.sourceforge.net/faq.htm#new_language):

    Why a new programming language?

    Because Seed7 has several features which are not found in
    other programming languages:

    * The possibility to declare new statements (syntactical and
    semantically) in the same way as functions are declared (There are
    also user definable operators with priority and associativity).
    * Declaration constructs for constant-, variable-, function-,
    parameter-, and other declarations are described in Seed7 (The user
    can change existing declaration constructs or invent new ones).
    * Templates use no special syntax. They are just functions with type
    parameters or a type result (For example: array, hash, struct and
    set use a Pascal inspired syntax and semantic. In Seed7 they are
    not hard coded in the compiler but are templates described in
    Seed7).
    * Seed7 is a syntactically and semantically extendable language:
    Almost all of the Seed7 language (statements, operators,
    declaration constructs, and more) is defined in Seed7 in an include
    file (seed7_05.s7i).
    * The application program contains an include statement and the hi
    interpreter is booted with the language description when it starts.
    This way it is possible to define language variants or a totally
    different language.

    Greetings Thomas Mertes

    Project page: http://sourceforge.net/projects/seed7

  6. Re: New Seed7 Release 2006-12-04

    Balwinder S "bsd" Dheeman wrote:
    > On 12/05/2006 01:59 AM, thomas.mertes@gmx.at wrote:
    > > I have released a new version of Seed7: seed7_05_20061204.tgz

    > But why?

    Because he can, I guess.

    > What makes seed7 better over other existing scripting and, or
    > programming languages?

    This was the first time that I learned of a programming language that
    is able to define it's own operators and syntax, which makes it stand
    out when compared with other languages. At least according to my very
    limited knowledge on programming languages.

    Best regards
    Rui Maciel

  7. Re: New Seed7 Release 2006-12-04

    Rui Maciel wrote:

    .... snip ...

    > This was the first time that I learned of a programming language
    > that is able to define it's own operators and syntax, which makes
    > it stand out when compared with other languages. At least according
    > to my very limited knowledge on programming languages.

    You need to develop a lithp. (see lisp).

  8. Re: New Seed7 Release 2006-12-04

    On 2006-12-07, Rui Maciel wrote:

    > Balwinder S "bsd" Dheeman wrote:
    >> On 12/05/2006 01:59 AM, thomas.mertes@gmx.at wrote:
    >> > I have released a new version of Seed7: seed7_05_20061204.tgz

    >> But why?

    > Because he can, I guess.
    >

    >> What makes seed7 better over other existing scripting and, or
    >> programming languages?

    > This was the first time that I learned of a programming language that
    > is able to define it's own operators and syntax, which makes it stand
    > out when compared with other languages. At least according to my very
    > limited knowledge on programming languages.

    syntax? you mean it can be configured to behave like lisp , ml,
    prolog, and perl?

    or does it just do variations on a theme like C# and VB.

    Bye.
    Jasen

  9. Re: New Seed7 Release 2006-12-04

    On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 08:22:14 -0500, Rui Maciel
    wrote:

    > Balwinder S "bsd" Dheeman wrote:
    >> On 12/05/2006 01:59 AM, thomas.mertes@gmx.at wrote:
    >> > I have released a new version of Seed7: seed7_05_20061204.tgz

    >> But why?

    > Because he can, I guess.

    thanks your words are always guaranteed to make me feel better

    >> What makes seed7 better over other existing scripting and, or
    >> programming languages?

    > This was the first time that I learned of a programming language that
    > is able to define it's own operators and syntax, which makes it stand
    > out when compared with other languages. At least according to my very
    > limited knowledge on programming languages.
    >

    > Best regards
    > Rui Maciel

+ Reply to Thread